1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEW CHICKS!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Saturday I will being picking up 6 (only six...couldn't persuade DM&F for more. :D) I will be getting 4 silkies and 3 cochins. SO EXCITED! I am a little afraid because the silkies come as straight run...hopefully get some hens in there!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Dee5385

Dee5385 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    I've just started my chicken journey, congrats on yours! So far I'm living it! I went to a poultry auction and purchased 4 (older) hens. (I really have no idea what age they really are, two of the ladies were sold as pullets) Anyway...I brought home my 4 new friends and gave them a beautiful home in a brand new chicken coop. It's been a week and a half and still no eggs; which I heard was normal due to their stress, new environment, weather etc.; so I decided to get my first baby chicks. Stopped off at the local tractor supply and picked out my 4 buff orpington's (pullets) and 2 black giants. When I got home I went to check on my "older" lady friends....and I had my first egg!!!! All in all it was a very exciting day...new chicks and my first egg! Can't wait for this journey to continue and see how everything plays out.

I funniest part about this whole story is....I'm the complete opposite of what you would expect of someone raising chickens; not that there's really a "type". But if you'd ask anyone that knew me if they could ever see me raising chickens, they'd die laughing....well you get the point... So naturally when I started to tell my friends and family I was going to raise chickens I was given all kind of crap, and I'll admit I'm quite surprised at how much I'm enjoying this so far. Just wanted to share!

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Congrats on the egg and chicks!!! I have 4 buff orptingtons and I LOVE them! When I got my first chickens, a lot of my friends were like, "CHICKENS?" and weren't really sure what I was all hyped up about. LOL But after they saw the cute little chicks they decided they were pretty cool after all. [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congratulations! Enjoy the new flock!! [​IMG]

5. Viva-Lena

Viva-Lena Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I got my chickies in the mail today! 31 barred rock mix and 6 ISA brown pullets :) I only ordered 27:5 so the extras are welcome!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Congrats on the new babies! [​IMG]

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Adorable Viva-Lena!!!! I CAN NOT wait for my babies! This is the first time I haven't known months in advance I'm getting chicks. I only knew 3 days in advance! So... 4 washings and rinsings later brooder and supplies are all ready!

8. Dee5385

Dee5385 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Northern Virginia

So Cute!:)

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I ended up with 8 chicks! They didn't have any silkies. :( Bummer. Instead I got 2 red pullets, 2 black pullets, and 4 assorted bantams. So I have no clue what breeds I got!!! One of the bantams is lavender colored with feathered legs. ADORABLE!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by