New Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by countrydreamer8, Feb 14, 2015.

1. countrydreamer8

countrydreamer8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brockport, NY
    Hello All,
    I have been comptimplating for a few years now about raising chickens and now that I've been forced into semi-retirement I'm going to do it! I talked to my local Tractor Supply yesterday and they told me that the new chicks will be in at the end of this month so I'm trying to see if I can actually go ahead and do this. I have a shed connected to the back of my garage which used to be used for my dog. Mind you this area is insulated, paneled, wall to wall carpeted and also has a place for a heater and an air conditioner. 2 windows and of course a 'doggie' door. What I need to know is if I can put my new chicks in that shed in a 'brooder'? I think that's what its called, along with the heat lamp.

I'd appreciate any comments
    Countrydreamer8!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You can brood chicks out of doors if you can keep your temps relatively stable. Remember, the temp at noon in this shed has to be close to the same temp at 4 am. If it falls steeply, so does your temp in the brooder. I would say if the temp doesn't vary more than 5 degrees from noon to 4 am in the morning, then you could brood them outside.

If you can't keep the temp stable enough, you would probably have to brood them indoors.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? There are lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens including a section on chicks, homemade brooders and raising them to adulthood...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on!! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

4. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC!!

5. countrydreamer8

countrydreamer8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brockport, NY
    thanks for the info. Maybe I'd be safer using my basement as long as I can put them in a safe place from my cats! But I'm going to experiment with my little digital heater first out in the shed. It looks like I won't be getting my chicks until the 15th of April so I don't think I'll have to worry about below zero temps like we're having right now.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

The shed may work, if you can keep the temperature stable. Otherwise, the basement is a good option- that's where I brood my chicks when I have them.[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd remove the carpeting - chicks will make a horrible mess out of it. A piece of linoleum with pine shavings over it, would be easier to clean and is durable. But, you do have to keep baby chicks warm enough, and safe from drafts - as well as house pets - that will find them anywhere.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS From the sound of it, I wouldn't mind living in that dog house.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Excellent info from Two Crows.

I also would remove the carpet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by