1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by red35horse, Oct 24, 2008.

1. red35horse

red35horse New Egg

Oct 24, 2008
    I just incubated 8 Black Jersey Giant eggs. This is the first time I have ever done this. Two of my eggs have hatched. They been hateched for 24 hours. One chick looks great and the other is dry, but his feathers are all stuck together-kinda like he has glue all over him. He doesn't look as peppy as the other chick. What do I do about the sticky coating all over him? I'm worried that his litttle "hiney" hole is covered up with the sticky stuff and he can't poop.

Also, it has been 2 days since they hatched and the other 6 eggs haven't any signs of pipping. Do you think they're dead?

Sorry for all the questions. We're new to chick hatching. Any response for helping will be greatly appreciated.

2. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    I would wash the sticky chick in warm water to remove it and then blow dry it - we have had to do this to a couple of ours and they do just fine. As far as the other eggs I would candle them and see if there is any movement in them. Good luck with the babies!

3. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Ditto what doodledoo said. Then, say that three times fast. [​IMG] Congrats on the fuzzy-butts! Can you post pics?

Edited 'cause I can't spell worth a hoot. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by