New Chicky Mommy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chirp, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Chirp

Chirp New Egg

Jul 2, 2008
    Hello, all!

I have been lurking for a little while and decided to join in.

There is so much information and experience here, and everyone seems so nice and helpful. [​IMG]

I am a first time chicky Mom. I have five Buff Orpington pulletts that are seven weeks old. They are so sweet, and starting to make occasional clucking noises in addition to thier peeping!

I still have them indoors, in essentially a cardboard play pen, now that they've outgrown the succesion of boxes I used. The pen is lined on the bottom with a 36x36 plastic tray, that you would put under a refridgerator.

They are very responsive and come a runnin' when I put my hand in the box. They let me pet them and stroke thier chests. I got them when they were two days old and always say "Here chick chick chick chick" ( y'all know what I mean...LOL) when I go near them, because I wanted to make then associate thier food with me calling to them.

My coop will be a nice coop with a roofed run for my girls, but it is only barely started, since my poor DH shattered his heel and ankle (requiring surgery) just before the Memorial Day weekend, when, of course, he was going to finish the coop and run! Well, "run" will not be in his vocabulary for a LONG time. We have friends coming over in the next couple weeks to help with the "coop raising". [​IMG]

In the meantime, from what I've read here, I should be able to take my girls outside for a little while, and let them run in the grass. I think they will stay near me and not run off, especially if I bribe them with a little bread, right? They love bread. When I bring in a little bread, it's pandemonium in the chicky box!

Thank you all, in advance, for all the good advice I will be gaining from this site.

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Welcome to the board! [​IMG] It sounds like you're addicted just like the rest of us! I'm sure they would be fine outside. Is there any way you could fix up a temporary fence so they would stay in one area? That would help. But if all them normally come when you call them it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're with them. [​IMG]

3. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    Welcome!! I am pretty new too...and like you I just sorta "hung out" before I posted...congrats on the babies...I should get mine at the end of the month and am in prep mode..lol...sorry about DH...hope you get the coop/run done soon..

4. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there. [​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Welcome to the addiction!

As I write this, I can hear my DBF talking to the chickens in the next room. They LOVE him.

heh... he's holding up one to a window to see me. I love that man!

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:Didn't he think you were crazy for wanting to get chickens? What a big softie!

7. Chirp

Chirp New Egg

Jul 2, 2008
    Thank you all! [​IMG]

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC! We'd sure love to see pictures... we thrive on pictures here.[​IMG]

By the way, since you are feeding treats (bread) I'm assuming you know to give them grit? Just making sure...

9. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    hi all. i have no idea how to start a new topic and i have no idea where to put my post but since this is the "raising baby chicks" i thought i would post it here. [​IMG]

I know that this is a chicken forum and some people on here put turkey and other posts about different things on here... but what i would like to know is why my new baby ducklings always run away from me. they are 10 weeks old so i guess i shouldnt really be calling them ducklings but i want to know why they keep running away from me. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have no idea why and i would like to hold them and love them each but i dont want to traumatize them by chasing them all around there brooder and when i do get one of them it quacks like im hurting it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any ideas why they are acting the way they are. [​IMG]

Im so confused. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by