1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chics arrived yesterday!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scrambledeggs, May 3, 2007.

1. scrambledeggs

scrambledeggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    O.K. well I feel like a nervous father all over again. My eight girls arrived yesterday and they are all comfortably set up in the brooder box that I built. Busily drinking, eating, and peeping.

After many looks back at the box I finally went to sleep last night.

However reading a bunch of posts about clogged vents I woke up this morning to look at my babes and noticed that most of them have wet behinds one with some poop hanging from it. So here is the question do I need to whipe there bottoms like I do my newborn son. Or is a wet bottom the norm for these little chicks and that I will REALLY notice a plugged vent?:|

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Chicks behinds should be dry and fluffy, with no poo stuck on the feathers. Go ahead and clean the little chickies up and keep an eye on 'em. I had 2 that I had to clean up the other day, and just once was it- haven't had poopy butts again.

3. scrambledeggs

scrambledeggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    Great cause whipping one babies butt isn't enough. Now I have another 8 to do.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by