new chics coming soon.....what to do?

Farm Chic

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Davisburg, MI
I currently have 6 bantams, 2 roosters and 4 hens; OE, silkies and dorkings. They are about 5 months old right now and I have ordered 15 chics that will arrive around 9.25. I am pretty sure that the bantams were vaccinated. We were told by a local vet that raises chickens not to vaccinate our chics. So we didn't.

Is this going to be a problem?
How will our banties react to the new hens?
Should I do something special to prepare them?

Thanks!

If you feed medicated chick starter to the chicks, (which is the only type I can buy where I live) then you were absolutely right not to get them vaccinated, as the medication will ruin the vaccination. Do you have somewhere separate from the adults to brood the chicks? Are the other birds already all together, or do you still need to introduce them? If they've been in separate runs and will need to move in to make room for the chicks, have they been able to see each other through the fence? Are they familiar? If not, they will need at least a few days, preferably a week of being exposed to each other before you mix them, so they get used to each other. there will probably be some pecking at each other to establish who's the boss, but as long as they don't draw blood or really hurt each other, that shouldn't be a problem. It's perfectly normal.

we keep new babies in a verry heavy box with a baby-gate or window screen over the top untill big enough for our dog-kennel (the large, but portable cage-type)
The new chicks live in the cage in the coop with the older chickens till they all seem to be comfortable with each other (usually 10-20 days) then they get turned loose-- but can still get into the cage if they want for the 1st few days. This allows them t see and interact with each other but NOT get within pecking distance... when I still see pecking AT or Thru the bars by the older Roo's-- I know to wait a few more days!

It seems to work quite well!

thanks! we will have the chicks separated from the others once we get them. the chickens won't be able to see themat all. so should I bring the chicks out for a few hours each day until the chicks are big enough to have outside full time?

Back
Top Bottom