New chics some with pasty butts what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DixieDame67, Mar 29, 2009.

1. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    I know i have read something on here previously about pasty butts, but this is the first time i have ever dealt with it, i have been soaking there lil bottoms, but what can i do for it? i put a chopped up boiled egg in there feed i think thats what did it any suggestions would be greatly appreciated , thanks

2. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    I have read in other posts in the past where others have placed a small amount of oil, such as olive oil, around the area after cleaning and it has helped to prevent the poo from sticking to the area again.

Changes in diet have been reported to cause a change in stool in new little ones.

The good news is after time and maturing pasty butt seems to become less of an issue.

3. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    TY , Fern, i was wondering if i could put something like Prep H on there bums? lol after i soak them seems there lil bums are swelled a bit, i just don't want them to be in any pain

4. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    I imagine their bums were a little red and swollen from the poo and from the cleaning. I would be cautious of putting something like preparation H on chicks so young. I have not heard of doing this so far. Maybe someone else could chime in on that aspect. I know that it has been applied to older hens for prolapses but never use a medication that has a "cain" in it on chickens, like lidocaine.

I don't think they are in pain, apart from getting their bums washed and having had the poo on it, I believe the redness and such will resolve fairly quickly.

I think the oil would help with the redness and swelling, much like desitin on a baby's bum, a barrier of sorts to allow for healing with the added benefit of being on the feathers surrounding the area so the future poo doesn't stick to it. I have also read that others have trimmed the feathers around the area, that one takes a steady hand on a wiggly chick or a helper.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    my shipped chicks generally get it, I just hold their bumms under the warm water and wash it off and then dry them a bit and back into the brooder they go. It stops after the first few days. I never had to use oil on their bums

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by