New Chik

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gypsiechicken, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Gypsiechicken

Gypsiechicken New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    Cashmere Washington
    Hi, I am new in all aspects. I look forward to learning any information, or suggestions I am egor to learn. I have 2 hens and a rooster. I need to learn the Chicken language lol. OK here I go, in September 2014 a friend (a new aquaintence) gave me his flock then (unexpectently) passed away. I know these Chickens (about7 M:hmmld? when I received)ment alot to him when he gifted me these I knew it would be a learning experience the friendship that grew over a year has now lived on since his passing in November, "yes in chickens" lol I want him to be proud, I know when he gave me chickens it was a small joke and now we are about to have hatchlings yes both hens are nesting I was told about 30 days then today I got thinking I had better start preparing much to my surprise its 21 days :) about a week sooner then expected. is it weird to feel like a waiting grandparent? LOL.I bet someone is getting a good laugh from above. So I have some knowledge from childhood visiting my grandparents farm as a child, chasing and eating :) I have a new heat lamp and feed coming this evening. I will make a small area for the chicks but Please Help. I NEED IT Now... lol thanks for your time Tammi

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Tammi

Glad you could join the flock! 21 days is the usual incubation period for chicken eggs. This is not set in stone as some may hatch a day early or a day later. If you are letting your hens hatch these chicks and raise them you will not require a heat lamp as mother hen will keep them warm under her. When all that are going to hatch have hatched she will bring the chicks off the nest to eat and drink having chick crumb and water near by is a good idea. She will show them what to do and they will copy her. When they want to warm up they will go back under her have a warm and come back out again. Here is a lovely article on broody hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

The learning centre also has some great articles on raising your chicks as they get older https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy all the chicken chat :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Yorkshire coop gave you some great links to check out! Good luck with the soon to be new chicks!

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello Tammi, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I hope your hens successfully hatch out some cute chicks!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck to you![​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do both hens get along well together? Sometimes two hens will share the work load, at other times they will fight furiously over who gets the chicks. That is something to watch out for - then you would want to keep each hen and chicks - separated from each other. Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

9. Gypsiechicken

Gypsiechicken New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    Cashmere Washington
    Thanks for.your post
    Yes the hens get along for the most great, of course one is more dominate then the other and she does peck on the other hen when the Roostere isnt around,they are both nesting together right now,Yesterday my rooster escaped and their is another penned in area where other hens and rooster live, petting area (goats etc) and the dominate hen started pecking as soon as he was on the run,but today the non dominate hen actually got up from nesting and was laying right on the other hen like loving her it was cool to see, she has 4 eggs and the other has at least 10 I cant wait to see when they hatch,the one with 10 + she is about a week ahead of the other hen. I am amazed she has been so gentle with her because i am talking that hen and the rooster have made the other find her own sleeping area so cute,I am sending a picture so you can see how close they are nesting, and the rooster Blue he acts like a proud expecting father,pacing back and forth. lol any sggestion

10. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by