new chix pix!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fargosmom, Jan 26, 2009.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Here are some new pix of the chix - they're about 3 weeks old now, I think. Someone shoulda told me how beautiful they are!
    [​IMG]this is Pickles, dancing . . .
    [​IMG]this is Lucy, Ethel, Buffy and Pickles . . .
    [​IMG] . . . Lucy and Buffy . . .
    [​IMG] . . . Buffy, Lucy and Pickles . . .
    [​IMG] . . . and Buffy's beauty shot.
    BTW . . . we'll be starting the coop soon and a friend suggested that an automatic waterer would be a good idea (it gets pretty hot here in the summer). I found this one http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/fount_automatic.php (scroll down to item #FT4308). Anyone have any experience with it? Or any other suggestions? I'd like something super-simple . . . and easy-to-clean would be nice too. Cheers!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope that bottom one is not a roo and that you get some green eggs out of "it".

3. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Are you saying you think it might be a roo? I don't know what to look for but "she" is certainly bigger than the other EE. Sure hope she's a she; I really wanted a two of each type. When does the gender become apparent?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Big feet, I'm just sayin'.

I'm betting roo.

5. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Oh I really hope not. [​IMG] When will we know for sure? [​IMG]

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I got two EE's in my last order of layers, and I was sure one was a male because it was so much bigger and less shy. Its comb was bigger and pinker, too. I didn't know it was a female until it was about 8 weeks old, I think, when she was showing no signs of male-ness.

Today, she's a beautiful 6mo laying machine. She's not any bigger than the other one.

Don't give up hope on the bigger one being female. My fingers are crossed that your luck is the same as mine!

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Cute chickies! We use the waterer you are wondering about - it works great. Cutler Supply has the best prices around for poultry supplies from what I've found anyway: http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/. [​IMG]

8. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    Very cute! I'm getting chick fever seeing all these sweet chicks!! Only a few more months til spring!!

9. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks Josanne - I really hope she's a she - I don't like having to re-home animals. Once they're mine they're mine, but I definitely couldn't get away with keeping a rooster.
    What are the basic signs you watch for as the chicks develop?

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    In my little bit of experience (one EE roo), he developed sickle shaped tail feathers and pointy saddle and hackle feathers before 12 weeks. I'm not exactly sure when, just that his 12 week picture he's obviously a rooster. I remember being sure that he was a male a few weeks before that.

This larger of my two current EE pullets just never developed the size of comb that the first cockerel did, and she never developed the saddle feathers and tail that the cockerel did. Her coloring also looked identical to my previous EE pullet.

Keep posting pictures of your babies as they grow, we can all watch and wait with you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by