New chock owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jaksmac2, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Jaksmac2

Jaksmac2 Just Hatched

Jul 9, 2016
    Plymouth, Devon, U.K.
    Hi my name is Jackie
    Purchased 4 hybrids yesterday. My husband has a blue Maran and a Rhode rock, and I've got an amber rock and a speckledy gold. We built our coop and run ourselves it was for my birthday. First ever time we made anything so big. Very please with the outcome. We kept the chickens in their coop from yesterday teatime overnight to this morning. They didn't want to come out this morning but with a little coaxing they were fine. Once it gets dark do they automatically go into their coop or do we need to coax them. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi Jackie and welcome to BYC! Nice coop! Eventually they will get into the habit of going into the coop when it gets dark, but to start out with, you can encourage them by throwing a little scratch in the coop around the time you want them to go in. Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

3. Jaksmac2

Jaksmac2 Just Hatched

Jul 9, 2016
    Plymouth, Devon, U.K.
    Thank you.
    I'm so looking forward to having them in my life. It's lovely to watch them, they are so comical. They are 16 wks old, and know they can lay eggs anytime after that, but assume it will take them a couple of wks to settle. Last night all 4 were sat in 1 nest box. Hoping tonight they will sit on the perches. I will be opening the coop at 06.30 in the morning as I get up at 06.00 for work and not sure what time they will go to bed is it before it gets dark or just before.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can shut them in the coop for a few days - with food and water. Then they will imprint on the coop being their home. Once you let them out they should return at dusk to roost for the night.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by