1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chooks so how does it work??? HELP x

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bumblebee4, Mar 24, 2015.

1. bumblebee4

bumblebee4 New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Hi everyone,

Wanting to pick all brains and ask...

HOW DO I INTRODUCE CHICKENS TO A NEW COOP?

I see some people say keep them in the coop for a day and introduce them to the new coop at night. Some people say they stay there for 24hrs some say till morning and let them out in there run and put back in at night.

Ive had and heard so many ways that now im really confussed. If they were in the coop for 24 hours how would i feed and water them?

Might sound a stupid question!!!!

Hope you all can help (which im sure you can x)

Thanks

2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    If your run is fenced I would let them figure it out. Its not science or a process. Leaving them in the coop for the night though, and making sure they go back in at night for the first couple days will reassure that this is home and where I belong. I don't think its necessary to coop them up for 24 hours. If you feel like you need to for some reason then you will have to look into smaller water or feed containers for inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by