New Christmas ideas for my parents... HELP!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Robin'sBrood, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My parents do not want us to spend anything on them this year for Christmas, since we have a new baby on the way, and since we've had our little kitchen fire, etc. I can do that because there really isn't anything that they need for Christmas anyway. However, I can't not give them anything at all, just can't do that. So I've been racking my brain trying to figure out something homemade that I can give them. I've been thinking about some baked goods, but both of my parents are diabetic, so they don't need any kind of sweets. What is something special that I can make for them that doesn't cost a fortune... any ideas? I've been thinking about baked breads. Does anyone have recipes for good, healthy but yummy breads... something like pumpkin, etc.?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You can make sugar-free new york cheesecake!Use ground pecans, almonds, butter and splenda for a crust. If you have a coffee grinder it works great for the nuts. They even sell sugar-free caramel ice cream topping that you can drizzle over the top [​IMG]

3. redhawkou812

redhawkou812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Joelton, TN
    I always make my dad a pie called pineapple fluff

1 small pkg jello pudding sugar free vanilla or cheesecake
    1 small can crushed pineapple
    1 pkg cool whip, sugar free
    1 graham cracker pie crust low fat

mix crushed pineapple and pudding
    fold in 3/4 cool whip
    put in pie crust
    use remainder of cool whip to top

He loves it!

4. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    there are always those ornaments made from your hens eggs... you can use a silver sharpie to personalize and date-take apart an old string of beads you don't wear to embelish and there you go

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the suggestions... my parents are tough though. My mom won't eat anything that resembles a dessert, even if it is sugar free. [​IMG] My dad will eat any kind of dessert, with sugar or without. They aren't into decorating a Christmas tree and only put up a tiny, pre-lit, artificial tree, so ornaments are out of the question. I don't sew, and can't think of anything to make for them if I did.

My mom loves homemade breads though... pumpkin, zucchini, etc. - and my dad will eat anything, so I think I'm going to make a couple of loaves of this for them. I only wish the recipe had reviews...

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    i'll pm you a pumpkin muffin recipie, you can make pumpkin bread with it too, just use a loaf pan instead.

7. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I think I'll make the pumpkin bread for my mom and that yummy sounding pie for my dad... I know he will love that since he loves Pig Pickin' cake! [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There are lots of low carb and diabetic friendly breads you can bake fresh.

9. redhawkou812

redhawkou812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Joelton, TN
    Hey Robin,
    I tried to reply to your e-mail about the juice of the crushed pineapple, but didn't see it in my sent box, so thought I would post the answer here - use the juice that is in the pineapple can.

10. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks, I did get your private message.

For anyone else who might be planning on trying the Pineapple Fluff pie, don't drain the juice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by