New Cochin babies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dlynne1123, Jul 6, 2011.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    I purchased two cochins a couple weeks ago, b/c well, they were too cute! I really shouldn't have a rooster so I am now concerned....I think one is a roo...
    Obviously redder cone, and the cheeky (waddles?) parts are bigger and more developed than the other chick. Now not sure of their ages either so could one just be older? My sex links are almost 10 weeks and still have no real combs like the 20 weeker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day one of intros and he was the only 'chick' challenging the 20 week old hen (red star) where all the others were doing the usual running in small herds and hiding...he/she chest bumped and stood its ground. I was impressed!

If this is a rooster will he try to mate all my girls? Or just the cochin? Anything I should be concerned about? Are they very loud typical roosters?

Just for fun b/c I've figured this out, these are more of my gang with the set up (we're still tweaking it a bit)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made the coop door so big that the little ones sit around haning out. Looks like they are having a conversation!

2. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    This is the other one I purchased at the same time. At a swap, not a store....

[​IMG]

3. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    both look like hen's to me they are a great breed very friendly birds!

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Nothing is screaming roo at me right now. The comb and wattles don't seem overly large and the bird is very well feathered. My Cochin roos tend to feather out slower than the hens. The color isn't developing like it would on a roo either but not knowing their age, that could change.

ETA - Roos don't discriminate based on breed. They will mount whatever hens are there but that does not affect the quality of the eggs and you don't have to worry about finding a chick in your eggs unless you pick up an egg that's been sitting in a nest for a few days.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Ok, so this last picture could just be a younger Cochin? What age do they get their ugly face? lol, my husband calls the 20 week Red Star this b/c she has a full head gear. We have Red Stars, Golden Comets, Barred Rocks, and the newest gray/blue Cochins. I know the cochins are slow growers but when will the rest of the girls get full combs? Is this what marks their laying times?

What kinds of things can I get into with the Cochins? Showing, exhibitions, etc? I know they aren't much for laying but good mothers. And not sure if mine are Bantams yet or Standards. I hoped for standards and wanted really big birds so I hope they keep growing! Technically speaking are they blue or gray?

6. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Both hens [​IMG]

7. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Well, its official, had them sexed this am. Hes a boy, and shes a girl! Supposedly 16 weeks old or three months. Any idea if they are Bantams or Standards? I was told standards but also that they were both girls too....[​IMG]

Name suggestions! They will be married ;-)

Thinking of exibitions? New to this so no idea if they are even worthy! The local kid was in love with them but not sure if that means anything!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  8. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  9. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Blue bantam cochins - one hen, one cock - not really show material - could show the cock at a fair

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by