New cockerel got a cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Godiva, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I picked up a new cockerel on Friday evening. The owner said he had got wet in the rain (lots) the day before and chilled and seemed to have got a cold. We have him in quarantine. He is 7 months old, bantam cochin. He has normal poop. He is sneezing and sounds moist when breathing. He seems to have a good appetite. He is wiping his beak more than I think is usual. He is eating start and grow feed with a little scratch. I gave him some kefir a couple of times each day ( like yoghurt). He is on hay in a cage and I am keeping him in the workshop which is heated (I only have it on about 60 F because I don't want him to be shocked when he gets moved out with the other chickens again.)

What do you recommend? Should I give him medication? This is supposed to be THE rooster I have been waiting for for my flock and the breeding I have in mind. I really want to make sure this little fellow makes it. I heard about garlic - how do you give it? I was thinking of adding vitamins and electrolytes to his water. Is there a medication that works well for something like this and if so where do I get it etc. As I said this roo is new and I don't know what he is usually like - but he seems quite chirpy and normal aside from the slightly bubbly breathing and sneezing.

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Good Morning......Get some Vet rx for him. Its like vicks for poultry. And for sure put some vitamins in his water. Give it like 2-3 days and see. If he does'nt seem to be getting better then get some antibiotics for the water.....

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The owner should never have sold you a sick bird. And birds do not get head colds like humans do. My birds are often wet, cold, etc and have never had breathing problems. So many diseases are passed through recovered birds who are carriers and can shed the disease to others for the rest of their lives. I would never give any meds during quarantine-it masks symptoms you need to see come to the surface. VetRx is not an antibiotic, but just has aromatics that supposedly help them breathe.
    Since you really do not know what he has, I would think long and hard before putting him into your flock. If it was me, I'd cull him now. Sounds harsh, but bird diseases are not the same as mammal diseases and you may set yourself up for some real heartache. Please use caution during quarantine, observe him daily for any symptoms he develops and dont give him antibiotics. You could set up a cycle of disease in the flock that will never go away.

IMO, THE rooster for your flock is not one that comes to you sick.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Tred cautiously!

That bird was most likely already sick and getting wet and chilled brought it out. The one rooster could be carrying disease that could wipe out your entire flock. Keep him as far away from your flock as possible. The stress of a new home will also trigger whatever he is carrying and you will most likely see further illness.

This is one rooster you do not want as a flock roo.

NEVER take a chicken that is showing illness. Chickens do not get colds like humans. This is serious as you have handled the bird and been in contact with your flock.

You need to be sure you change clothes and sanitize your shoes after working with him before coming into contact with your older flock.

I don't medicate birds. I don't like residual effects of disease. If I were in your shoes I would take him back where I got him from and not bring anything home out of that place ever again. This is how disasters happen that leave you wishing you had done things differently.

If you plan to keep him anyway. You can keep him comfortable and nurse him to health with apple cider vinegar, good food, clean water, vitamins, etc.

To be fair anyone you buy/sell/trade chickens or eggs with should be told you have had illness and let them decide if the risk to their flock is worth it for themselves.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I would absolutely not want a cockerel with a weak immune system to ever be a breeder in my flock. He could set you up with generations of chicks with illness.

6. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Oh MY! I feel quite sick! THank you for your honest opinions! I really didn't want to hear that but I think you are right. Part of the reason I took the bird is that I am just not experienced and also we had driven 2 + hours to get him and in the heat of the moment I took him. I did not realise that birds don't get a simple 'cold' - I thought it would be something that just went over and was done with!!! Just shows how ignorant I am. Oh well, live and learn. He is so pretty and I was so excited to have a 'good quality' roo for my little bantam hen. MAJOR bummer! There is no way I am going to take him all the way home again (he was due for the freezer camp in the sky anyway as he was extra) so I guess the racoons etc will be getting a special dinner sometime really soon. I am so sad and mad! [​IMG] Seems silly to cry over a chicken I have only had for a few days but I was so excited and he is so sweet and pretty. BUt rather put him out of the misery than have our whole flock infected with something.

We have been really careful to always see to him last so as to not cross infect ... please God we have been careful enough! I am blubbing like a baby... pathetic....

7. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

So long little Bloutjie, we loved you even if for a very short time. We are heart broken - you stole our hearts with your sweetness and gorgeous looks. RIP sweet heart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure is pretty. But like everyone has said, better safe than sorry. I hope you can find a good replacement for him.
    Also I would not feed him to the coons. Burn him or put him in the garbage. No need to bring the critters in.

9. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    We have raccoons everywhere, my husband takes a good long walk in the woods and leaves them far away. We live in a heavily forested area of SC and there are more critters than you can imagine. We used to try and bury the culls but the dirt is too hard to dig a decent hole and they just got dug up again [​IMG]

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by