New cockerel!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ktown1787, Jun 26, 2016.

1. ktown1787

ktown1787 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    I have a flock of 31 birds. 4 of these are Guineas so I have 27 chickens. I just added a 7-8 month old ameracauna cockerel to the flock. He and my year old splash Orpington have been aggressively breeding 3 to 4 select hens. I'm guessing these are not my older buff orpingtons favorite ladies. Also out of the 24 females only 13 are breeding age. The other 11 are around 4 months old. My question is will this get better once there are more females to choose from? I feel bad for these 3 or 4 gals who are feeling the heat. I assume this is testosterone flowing because my splash male only became like this once the younger male was introduced.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could consider keeping your new roo separate from the flock, until more of your girls begin to lay.

CT

3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Your poor hens-- 2 aggressive roosters against 4 favorite hens is not good.
    I would do as CTKen suggests for sure.
    You might also consider taking the 4 over-mated girls out for a while, so your roos can breed the other mature girls.
    Sounds like they need a break.
    Hopefully things will improve amongst your flock as the pullets become mature.
    Best wishes~

4. ktown1787

Dec 16, 2012
    Will the 24 hens be enough to keep them occupied once everyone is breeding age? This rooster is really nice and I would love to raise chicks from him but I don't want my gals to suffer.

5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

24 hens for 2 roos is a good ratio, yes.
    Keep your eye on things and if you see over-mating, remove the select few for a while so they can recover.
    Rotating the tired out ladies is a kindness.
    Good luck!

6. ktown1787

Dec 16, 2012
    It would actually be three roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by