new cockerel

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by floppy corona, Apr 21, 2012.

1. floppy corona

floppy corona Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    I have inherited a cockerel......he is about 1 yr old......and currently in a separate coop from my hens but they are able to see each other...
    How long do you suggest I keep them apart?........my girls have a large run and also free range......should I place him in the hens run...for the first introduction?......in the daytime? or at night?.......
    Any information or help.....anyone can give me please.....
    Thanks

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If he's a year old, you did good. He should be old enough to have outgrown all the adolescent foolishness and he will most likely be a gentleman (after the initial intro process). Should be fine to just place him in with the girls after a 3-4 week quarrentine to be sure he didn't bring any diseases with him. Doesn't matter if it's day or night in your case, or whether it's in the run, or in the yard. He will merely take charge. Most roosters, when mature, will treat the ladies with respect and take good care of them. It's the youngsters that have a problem with older girls. So, after you are sure that he's healthy, enjoy the boy........Pop

1 person likes this.
  3. floppy corona

floppy corona Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Thanks Pop,
    Can you give me some idea what to expect.....will they fight etc......what should i look out for.....and when or should I intervene...
    When you say he will take charge.....what behaviour will i likely see?
    Thank you

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    His instincts will kick in. He will want to mate the girls immediately if not sooner.Pops was right just quarantine & put him with the girls.

1 person likes this.
  5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

There ya go. 7L got to ya first. To that I might add, sometimes a fiesty hen will resist and the cock will hafta slap her around a little, but it's all chicken love. Don't interfear or be alarmed.......Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by