New color of egg-same hen or not

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Julia62, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    We found this egg (the one on the bottom) today still warm in the early afternoon. We have a Golden Sex Link and White Leghorn that have been laying for 8 weeks now and a Sliver Laced Wyandotte that hasn't layed yet (33 weeks old). The browner egg on the top is a Ginger egg (GSL) and is typical and the new egg is lighter and speckled so we were wondering if it could be from MaryAnn. The egg is 61grams though which seems large for a first egg. The other girls' first eggs were in the 40 gram range and got bigger as the went.

Do chickens change their color of egg sometimes? [​IMG]

2. The Colonel

The Colonel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Middle TN
    Although eggs do tend to change in shade from time to time, they never change color. I've never had SLW pullets, (the only two I had were cockerels) so I can't tell you what their eggs look like. Those two eggs are not from the same pullet, though.

3. Julia62

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Well then I'm happy! MaryAnn finally layed an egg! The Leghorn is white so it can only be those two.

4. Julia62

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    We have not gotten another egg form MaryAnn, assuming that egg was from her. That was 8 days ago. Is it normal for a Wyandotte to go 8 days after the first egg? She is behaving as normal, very active, eating, drinking. No signs of being egg-bound. Chalk it up to a new layer and winter??

5. The Colonel

The Colonel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Middle TN
    Probably. We have a little RIR pullet that laid twice this year and hasn't had an egg since. That was almost a week ago, I'm chalking it up to new layer and waiting till spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by