New composting room off the chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dukeofhawg, Jan 21, 2013.

1. I think the ladies like it. We put all or table scraps and garden trimmings in here..... They use their dinosaur claws to break it up and eat what they like.
    [​IMG]

And, yes, they are spoiled...

2. iyaibeji

iyaibeji New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    Dublin, ireland
    That sounds brilliant.
    Can you give some details on the size and build of it?
    I am very interested in doing something similar.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Reminds me of a concept drawing I saw using the chooks to help process the compost in between annually rotating garden plots. Chooks spend one summer in garden plot on right also with access to compost in middle behind coop, then switch the following year.

[​IMG]

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    That's awesome, I'm moving my compost into the run this summer. Hopefully I'll go from a 10'x10' run to a 50'x12'

5. foulplay

foulplay Chillin' With My Peeps

would you be able to do it with chickens on pasture? like bring the compost to them in a crate or something made of skids.

6. foulplay

[​IMG] Like this?

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    That's what my compost is currently, 3 pallets nailed together with a few boards across the top. They get in there all the time and have a field day. I put a lower side on the front so it was easier to get my wheel barrow to it and dumped.

8. busymadre

busymadre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Hickory, NC
    Thought about starting a "pallet" type compost, but was told they would easily rot. Aren't you afraid the pallets will rot?
    FYI: If you go on Craigs List, the "FREE" section sometimes has pallets available.

9. foulplay

We have used the compost piles with the skids and they last two or three years depending on how good of shape they were before.

10. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My pallet composter is going on 3 years and aside from some boards falling off, it's holding up fine. I had pressure treated pallets though. I have also seen some people make them out of pallets and then line them with some heavy duty plastic (like the kind for lining a pond) and that worked out okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by