New coop 2 years in the making....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickenaddict, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    We have been wanting to build a new coop for a few years now so we began gathering materials over the past 2 years. The coop itself is 10 by 12 with a 4 ft deck on the front. It is on skids so we can take it with us if we ever move. Just a little over 10 ft high. It's far from perfect because DH just ins't a "square" kind of guy in fact I am really pleased with how well it turned out compared to the first 4 by 6 coop the kids quickly outgrew. The chickens spent quite awhile living in our big garage with free run of everything. There are a total of 5 windows in it. We got the windows for $10 each. They were samples from a guy who used to sell anderson windows. All fold in for easy cleaning. I can think of a million things I would have liked him to do differently but he is one stubborn man and I figured i'd just keep my trap shut so he'd git r done. We still have lots to do like painting, insulation, run electricity to it, a few more vents above front door and on the back wall, and shingle the roof (right now all we have up on the roof is this ice and water shield stuff instead of tar paper. Our neighbor who is a professional commercial roofer suggested we get the ice and water shield instead so we spent a few extra bucks to do so. The kids wanted out of the garage so bad we moved them into the new coop even tho it's not completely done yet. They aboslutely LOVE it in fact some of them would rather hang in the coop all day then go outside and play in the yard. The run is several dog kennel panels pieced together 19 ft wide by 22 ft long. They are never in the run but if they ever need to be while we are away it will be covered with chicken wire to keep the eagles and hawks out.

In the begining... This piece is 8 ft by 10 ft, He made 2 and put them together to make the 10 ft by 16 ft base.
    [​IMG]

Here we have 3 of the 4 walls up, 4th one was being built on the patio
    [​IMG]

The siding is up and windows and door openings cut out
    [​IMG]

South facing side with 2 window openings
    [​IMG]

North facing side with a window opening. This will be the side the chicken run will be on as well as the pop door which hadn't been cut in yet.
    [​IMG]

Inside looking out at Dh taking a break admiring his hard work so far [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Windows and doors in!
    [​IMG]

South side of coop and run, the pop door in the run is for future coop additions to share the run or to let them out to free range without having to leave the kennel door open.
    [​IMG]

Front of the run, it also goes behind the coop. Behind the coop area is 10 ft wide by 10 ft long so I can easily section it off when we add another coop on the south side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chickens had to check out the run, I think they approve
    [​IMG]

Thanks to fruit of the loom and someone elses curb trash we gained a nice nesting area for the new coop. 2 days after they moved in they already went broody
    [​IMG]

One of 2 brooders inside the coop
    [​IMG]

2nd brooder inside. Currently they are stacked on top of each other to save more space
    [​IMG]

Grit and oyster shell buffet
    [​IMG]

Perches and an old rickety ladder to help the ground dwellers get up high
    [​IMG]

Where they prefer to sleep until the roof is insulated
    [​IMG]

The pop door, a DH original [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brooder occupants sure seem to like it
    [​IMG]

Ahhh all snuggled in for the night
    [​IMG]

Another use for those broke down plastic chairs... They hose off real good [​IMG] and the girls really enjoy them
    [​IMG]

We still have alot to get done before winter yet but we are well on our way. I am going to do landscaping all around the outside of the coop using trumpet vines and grape vines to create even more shade and protection and I'd also like to add lots of sand to the run as the grass doesn't grow back there with all those tall pine trees

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Log in just to say your set up is very nice. I like the roost idea, but I blocked off the rafters cuz they didnt' have enough room to get down and broke a couple of windows banging into them. I was thinking of making a second level so they had something lower to land on and then jump down from that.

Anyhow you've done a real nice job.

Rancher

3. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    [​IMG] wow, very nice, looks like you thought of everything! [​IMG]

4. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    That looks AMAZING! Awesome job [​IMG]

5. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Do the girls lay the appropriate sized eggs in the Fruit of the Loom bin? I think the medium, large, x-large labels are just sooo funny. Eggsellent idea for nest boxes!!! [​IMG]

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Brilliant. Yes, you did think of everything. Your girls are beautiful and it's obvious they are content.

7. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awww Thanks guys [​IMG] I love that fruit of the loom nest! Best piece of trash my Dh has brought home yet! Unfortunately they do not lay in the correct areas [​IMG] Nice thing about that is it's dual purpose, slap a piece of mesh over the front and poof instant brooder [​IMG]

8. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    Fabulous!

9. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Such happy looking chickens, I loved your photos! Your coop is wonderful as well- I love the ideas recycling old ladders and broken chairs. If only our girls didn't insist on roosting around the yard on our NICE ladders and NICE chairs... [​IMG]

Thank you so much for sharing, seeing such a nice set up and such wonderful chooks made me smile! [​IMG]

10. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awww thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by