New Coop adults love it, teenagers?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Qcorp, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Qcorp

Qcorp Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Loomis, CA
    Hello,
    I have a question about getting all of my flock in their new and improved Coop.
    The Chicken Coop is located inside one of the stalls in the barn, with a large run attached off of the back.

I added 4 new layers to my flock a few months ago. The 4 new teenagers (now) are free ranging with the rest of the flock in harmony; however, teenagers have been sleeping in the run instead of the coop with the older girls.

Since my old coop was on the smaller side we built a new larger coop for them.
    Yesterday was the day we broke down the old and installed the new coop. Yay.

When I went outside to check on everyone and shut the stall door the four teenagers were on a perch in the run, not inside the coop with the rest of the girls. I had removed their temporary setup, hoping to get them inside the coop with everyone else. I thought since everything was new to everyone they would all go inside together. (I am still learning and laughing at my self).

Can anyone advise on how I can get the teenagers to sleep with the rest of the flock? Or does it matter? Either way they are totally safe nothing can get to them, but winter will be here in a few months.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If the run is safe, you can just leave them for now. You could move them to the new roosts after dark, maybe for a couple of days, so they get with the program. Eventually, either way, they will be fine. Mary

3. Qcorp

Qcorp Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Loomis, CA
    Thank you for the reply. I think that is what I will have to do. We tried closing the door that goes out to the run. Leaving only the stall open to the coop ( the young ones stay up a little later) That turned out to be a mistake because I went out there about 1/2 hour ago and they were outside the barn perched on the outside of the run. Thank god I was able to coax them[​IMG] off the perch and back inside the barn. Tomorrow I will leave well enough alone and at bed time they will go in as usual and I will shut the stall door so everyone is tucked in safe.

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Have you watched them at dusk as they go to roost? Have you considered the older girls won't let them in? As in new kids would like to join them but they keep beating them up when they try?

That was happening with our neighbors birds.......new birds moved in with the old. The old girls beat them up every chance they got. No treats in the run and certainly they were not welcome inside at night.

5. Qcorp

Qcorp Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Loomis, CA
    Yes that is what is going on. The old girls won't let them in, they are being mean to the younger ones. In fact It seems like the top of the pecking order sends out her 2nd in command to run the young ones off.

Did your neighbors birds ever let the young ones in? Any suggestions?

6. Howard E

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Last I knew, younger birds had their own roosting area setup in the run. It was wide open, but was protected from the wind and rain. As far as I could tell, younger birds being out in the open as they were had a far better deal than the old girls did inside. The inside roost area is pretty dark and not very well ventilated. That is where the nest boxes are however, and I suspect the new kids are only a few weeks away from laying their first eggs. Will be curious to see what happens with that.

7. Howard E

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    The worm turns.........checked on the neighbor's birds yesterday and younger birds are now starting to lay and have moved inside with the big kids. All the extra roosts and feeders that were outside are now gone. They all appear to be getting along. I'd have to spend some more time with them to be certain but some of the new kids might now be running the show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by