New Coop Advice

jmcoburn

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2016
Glenmoore, PA
I've decided to build an enclosure after my second attack this month. Thankfully, my hen made it out unscathed but I've decided that I don't want to free range anymore.
I have a bantam rooster, 1 full size hen (EE) and 3 pullets- Barnevelder, Wyandotte, and Light Brahma, so they're going to be fairly large hens. My current plan is a L16'xW16'xH6' pen with their coop inside of the enclosure. I know they say 10 square foot per bird and this gives them more than that...but is it really big enough? I feel bad copping them up but I don't want them to die. Right now they have the nott of the bank barn which is avout 800-1000 square foot (pullets) and I was letting the adult birds free range when the weather was nice (until yesterday).
Here are my thoughts for the pen. I rent so it has to be temporary/moveable. Any suggestions welcome!

The pavers are to line the bottom in order to prevent digging under the fence. I will roof half of the top and part of the sides for wind/sun/precip shielding. I was thinking of putting the tire with ashes for dust baths and various roosts and things to help keep them occupied. (Please give other suggestions!) I might let them out for a little while on the weekends while I'm around to watch them but this will be where they will spend the majority of their time.

Is coop raised, so they get the entire 6 x 16 run 'floor'?
(post above says 16 x 16, you can edit it to correct)
With 5 birds that's almost 20sqft per bird, sounds good to me.
Might need more bracing across roof for snow load on tarp, but the 1x1" mesh will be good for that.

The coop is one of the tsc coops. It has raised coop and they have access to the underneath so yes technically access to all 16x16. Bracing the top is a good idea. Thank you!

The coop is one of the tsc coops. It has raised coop and they have access to the underneath so yes technically access to all 16x16. Bracing the top is a good idea. Thank you!
Your typing 16 x 16 but your sketch shows 6 x16 run and 6 x 6 coop....not sure a TCS coop is 6 x 6.
Things are not adding up.

Last edited:
Oh and the 6'x6' on the front is a door
Ohhh, now I see!!.... my bad<blush>
I misread, or rather did not read, the labels on your drawing views.
I'm a drafter by trade and thought the top view was...well, the 'top view'.
Now I see you don't have a 'top view' on your sketch.
Hahaha.... am laughing at myself here!!

16 x 16 is plenty of run space for 5 birds, tho building the mesh roof may be a challenge......
.....but that coop is not big enough for 5 birds, even if one is a bantam.
Though you may already know that, so maybe are going to build a new, and larger, coop too?

Don't waste you're money on that tiny prefab. Five birds will never fit, especially those breeds. Not without serious crowding issues.

If you've already got that coop I suggest a remodel. Drop the floor and enclose the entire thing with plywood, (leaving some openings for ventilation) making the entire structure a coop.

The inside is fairly large. I got it on sale in a pinch-I took in a rooster who was dumped on my property. Then got a few hens because why not? The 3 that were in there slept comfortably with room to spare. I don't have any problem closing it in though. My only concern is having enough room to be happy. They love the free range obviously but I live on 6 acres with 2 farms on either side and a 500 acre park across the street so lots of predators

Back
Top Bottom