New coop almost done!

d_cat88

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Amarillo, Texas
This is my new coop project, it will be 8'x10' with half dedicated to a storage area and half as the coop area. I will also have an 8' square run attached.
24934_2009_0119animals0003.jpg

24934_2009_0119animals0005.jpg

24934_2009_0119animals0007.jpg

I should have about 6-8 hens when I am done.
big_smile.png

I found a returned window at lowes for $15 so that is the light source with two ventilation windows covered in window screen and hardware cloth. If anyone in the Amarillo area wants to come by this weekend and help me finish everything and put up the run then let me know
smile.png
. I am always willing to accept free labor.

cat88, I found the safest thing to do is run wire along the bottom to keep predators out. I have the 1/2 inch square wire a cross the bottom of my coop so nothing can get in even if they do dig under. My neighbor lost 25 chickens to just such cause. My pen is huge and surrounds the whole coop. I have a 10x10 coop with a 4x10 feeding room. Yours looks like it is going to be really nice though. I cannot wait to see it finished.

I was going to run 3' hardware cloth around the bottom of the chicken wire for the pen and then also 1' into the pen and 2' out on the ground and cover the part outside the pen with bricks and rocks. I will also cover the top of the run which will be 6' tall so that I can walk into it with plenty of headroom.

My pen is 9 feet tall, so I did not see the need for a top. Each panel is screwed down to landscape timbers and pretty darn heavy. So heavy when it rains the water takes awhile to drain completely out, so I am going to have to run a drain at the back side. I also have a skylight in my coop.

I thought about putting in a skylight with clear lexan but I got this shed for $50
celebrate.gif
and I am just reusing most of the original material. There was also a bunch of paneling inside that came with it so the interior walls will be paneled.

Back
Top Bottom