1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Coop- Almost finished. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by @FendiChick, Jan 28, 2011.

1. @FendiChick

@FendiChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new coop is based on shelves which were already there- the main space is covered with corruged plastic but the extended space is going to be covered by chicken wire only. There is a door so that I can get in to clean it. Right now, there is some hay in there as that is what I was using when my roo was in a smaller cage- but I will switch to another material with some advice. Whatever material I use in the extended part will get wet, so I hesitate to use sand. Any advice is welcome. I am planning to paint the new wood that you see that's not covered. I taught my roo how to climb up the ramp last night but he still has to get the hang the going down it part. Thanks in advance for any help! As soon as it's completely finished, I will order 2 or 3 hens [​IMG]

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Nice coop.

Upgrade your metal fencing with 2x4 welded wire. Sand and pea gravel mixed will work very well.

3. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Thank you very much.

4. Reg

Reg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Yep I was ordering my wire last week but just thought i would ask the question on here about the strength of chicken wire. before buying.

The answer came back load & clear. " It does what it says, keeps chickens in but not foxes out !

I was lucky found out before i ordered. Wire was delivered today. 1" x 1" square 16 Gauge. Set me back £84 tho !

Wish you luck with your project.

Reg

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I would definitely NOT use hay - for bedding, or in the run - for anything. Chickens can get it stuck in their crops (I have lost two in this way...I'm embarrassed to admit). If you do a search on here for "crop surgery" you will find that most times, the cause is balled up hay in their crops.

I would think the pea gravel idea would be just fine, but actually, why not just leave the dirt? They LOVE scratching in it and dust bathing in it!

6. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    I can leave the dirt- how about the part where there is just wood (the part of the coop not on the ground)? Should I leave it just wood- or leave some hay there? I'm sorry but I don't know what a crop is.

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    @FendiChick :

I can leave the dirt- how about the part where there is just wood (the part of the coop not on the ground)? Should I leave it just wood- or leave some hay there? I'm sorry but I don't know what a crop is.

I use grass clippings year round. See 'My BYC Page'. I do add hay in wintertime. Did not think about it getting in their crops. Crop is same as craw. It is an intermediate food storage space between their mouth and stomach. I would use coarse sand for the run.

Gerry [​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    As always, I recommend, hay in the nest boxes, wood chips on the floor of the coop and straw on the floor of the run. It seems to work ok for me. It gets very wet here sometimes and since I have a garden I just rake it up and add it to my raised beds. When I throw some scratch the straw makes them work for it. When it gets real wet it's time for a change. Sometimes I just rake it up into a pile and let them "work it" some more. I don't break the bale of straw up, I just put the whole bale in and they stay busy spreading it around. Just use your judgment.

Wish you the best with your new coop.

Rancher

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  9. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Thank you for all of the good advice. I live in So. Fla. and I have to keep the chicken wire for now, but will upgrade when the time comes. I am not concerned about foxes- but i am concerned about raccoons or possums. I have hay and dirt now, will soon get wood chips for the run. I am letting him explore his new digs, I can't tell if he's happy or not, but he has plenty of room so it makes me happier!

10. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I used 1x2 welded wire instead of the 2x4. I would wait and see about water drainage/run off for your run before I decided what to use for it. If it is very wet or stays wet a while I would probably use sand/gravel mix. Or you could possibly use a tarp to keep rain out. That is what I use over my pvc hoop run to keep the majority of rain out of my run. Since your run isn't that large I think you could lay a few 2x2's or something from the roof to the top of your fence and lay a tarp over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by