1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new coop and chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tman2, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Tman2

Tman2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Corcoran, MN
    Found this site and thought I'd share. Took me 5 years to finally get chickens.

I own a business building backyard sheds, and got this old barn from a lady that wanted a bigger one. It was originally built by my company, and was in great condition inside. I added a window in back, and a little coop door.
    [​IMG]

I added the 4 nest boxes on each side, and a new door. We can just lift up the lid to get at the eggs. The kids wanted to paint them so we let them have at it.
    [​IMG]

I purchased some year old chickens after vigilantly checking Craigslist and brought them to their new home; 2 buff's, and 2 wyandotte's.
    [​IMG]

4 hens + 24 hours = 2 eggs
    [​IMG]

My daughter now considers herself a farmgirl!
    [​IMG]

My daughter thought up the idea for the star. She now call our place Big Star Ranch. I have more people who want eggs that these four will give me. I can see how it's easy to get more chickens. A new coop would be a VERY fun project, and easy for me. [​IMG]

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable. Ask your daughter if I can steal her star cut out idea.

3. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    looks great! [​IMG]

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Awesome coop and welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  5. Tman2

Tman2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Corcoran, MN
    Quote:In the words of a teenager- meh. She hides her interest in this chicken thing!

I can tell you that to make it a more symetrical, we printed something off the computer, then traced it. I then took the skill saw and cut it out. I attached a piece of plexi-glass to the inside of the door to finish it off. Most would probably use a jig saw, but I'm very comfortable with the skilsaw.

6. MamaJohnson

MamaJohnson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    Darling coop! Love the feeder!

7. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    congrats on joining the chicken crew! neat photos...are you in colorado?

8. Tman2

Tman2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Corcoran, MN
    Quote:Nope- MN. Sorry, just changed my sidebar profile to reflect that.

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Hi Tman - I'm in MN too. That's an adorable coop! Tell your daughter that I like to think I'm a farmgirl too - but sort of a prissy one... who has to hide her red pedicures from the naughty chookies.

Head over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72771 and check in. We're trying to organize a get together this summer.

And [​IMG] from Minnetonka!

10. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    great coop and congrats on the new girls!!

also a big hello from another MN girl......in burnsville

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by