New coop and chicks!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sBrickmanHouse, Mar 3, 2008.

1. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Our brand new, custom built-by-us coop is done, and the tenants moved in!

It's 6x8, with 3 roosts, 4 laying boxes, and a storage cabinet. A 9 x 12 inch chicken door will lead to a 14 x 24 run (not built yet!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our tenants are 23 girls ordered from Mc Murray... a variety of brown egg layers (Speckled Sussex, Buff Orp, White Rock, Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte and Black Australorp, and a lone Easter Egger that made her way into the box).

They are toasty warm out there with two heat lamps, tons of food and water, and all kinds of room to engage in their daily chicken mayhem. They especially like their "trainer roosts!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've been enjoying having them around... can't wait until it gets warmer to see them out and about, and ultimately of course, can't wait for eggs!

2. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    VERY nice looking place! It cracked me up seeing the teeny tiny chicks under those big roosts way up in the sky! [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I wish I had a coop like that! Aww... maybe some day I can have something fancy.

Are you planning on keeping all 23 chicks as adults in that?

Also, is that one heat lamp held via the cord? I hear that can be dangerous to do because people have had their cords break on them.

4. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Absolutely stunning! I LOVE it! I hope mine turns out half as nice in the spring!

6. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Great looking chicken house. You did a wonderful job and they look so cute.
    I don't know why I keep looking at all the pics of peoples coops. I know I am going to get
    Coop Envy.

7. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    That hen house is fantastic! You did a very good job. I can tell a lot of work and thought went into it. Good luck with your chicks!

8. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    That is one nice looking coop!!!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wonderful coop!

10. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    6x8 is a bit small for 23 full size chickens. according to the 4 sq ft rule you should only have about half that many. I have 12 chickens in my 8x8 coop, and that is plenty cramped enough.
    OH, but it is a very cute coop!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by