1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Coop and concrete floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pjchicks, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Pjchicks

Pjchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Nevada City, CA.
    Been working on my new coop for about a month now during the weekends. Dug the footing one weekend then framing the next then siding now working on roof. We had company today that came over and said the concrete flooring was not good for chickens. NOW I'm worried.

IS THIS A PROBLEM??????
    THANKS

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    concrete floors just like most things have their disadvantages and advantages. if you ever need to totally disinfect its much easier, it makes it easier to clean.

problems will include lack of protein because bugs and grass are minimal - a vitamin A shortage may follow along with vitamin D if they arent getting enough light. heavy birds may suffer leg issues on concrete floors, sealing them will make them more slippery and increase this problem.

there is also a chance of PH balance being thrown off, concrete is very alkaline. most feeds compensate for this, its usually not a concern. if you add ACV to your water, or your water is naturally acidic it will help this problem too.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC

Quote: They are simply wrong.
    Pay them no mind at all

Put down a thick layer of bedding and be happy with the fact you have a perfectly GOOD type of floor in your coop

4. Pjchicks

Aug 4, 2013
    Nevada City, CA.
    The chickens will also have a 24' run and can be outside all day. The coop is for night time and a dry place when it's raining and cold. I could let them free range but I just don't want to lose any.
    Thanks

5. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i have to agree with Bear Foot Farm on this one, just use plenty of bedding and your fine. most of the problems related to concrete floors are more because there isnt enough ventilation, or sunlight. yours have an outdoor run, everything will be ok.

6. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Put a few inches of sand down and they will love it, they can dust bath when they are locked up and it's very easy to clean with a cat litter scoop.

7. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Sounds to me like your company has a little bit of "coop envy" [​IMG]

8. Pjchicks

Aug 4, 2013
    Nevada City, CA.
    Thank You

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by