New coop and integrating flocks (at the same time..!)

renaissance_man

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2020
Hello to all of my wise, experienced chicken enthusiasts!

As of July last year, I inherited 5 hens & one rooster. Their existing coop being too small (3x4 18" tall, although with a large run) I decided to build a new 6x4 that is twice as tall (36") with 4x roosting space, dedicated nesting boxes, and doubling the run. Last weekend I finished it; Coincidentally, I heard of a flock that needed a new home (5 more hens.) Naturally, I volunteered to take them in.

The day of their arrival was the same day as the "grand opening" of the new coop, so instead of opening it up to my existing flock, I let the newcomers into the new coop while leaving the existing run separate from the new run area. So the flocks spent a day looking but not touching...

The next day, feathers seemed to smooth down and since everyone was clucking along happily, I opened it up and let them mingle. They still keep to their separate groups for the most part, but there's no fighting or pecking, so at least that's good.

Now, the pickle - how do I encourage them to roost together? They are still going to their separate coops at night, and I'm sure I could simply close off the old coop during the day, thus forcing them together, but is that good? I don't want to cause stress, hoping for a more natural acceptance / integration into the larger and more comfortable environment, but how long should I wait? Or, am I wrong, and I should close the old coop tomorrow and force them to roost together tomorrow night?

Thanks for all of your wisdom on this!

-Jim

:welcome I'd give them more time to acclimate to one another before forcing them to roost together. It sounds like things are going smoothly so I would be hesitant to force further integration.

It's been recommended that there be 4sq ft per chicken in the coop, 10 sq ft per chicken in the run but we all know bigger the better. Less problems & ruffled feathers plus there's Chicken Math which you're learning ;)

Since you didn't quarantine the newbies from your original flock, keep a very close eye on their health. Check all for external parasites, it the newbies brought any to your flock it's easier to tend it before it's multiplied.

:welcome Glad you decided to join us, you may want to update your profile with your location, it helps those responding knowing weather conditions, supply availability, possible predator situations and we don't have to ask ;);)

Good that you doubled the size of your coop because it was too small!
But then you doubled the size of your flock, so you're kinda in the same pickle again.
Pics of coop and run are always welcome and can help garner suggestions/solutions.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @renaissance_man
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2020-1-9_9-28-26.png

:welcome :frow I would put them all in the same coop and close the smaller coop up so they can't use it. I just introduced a single bird into an existing flock. I put her in the coop in the evening. The next morning when I went out to check on her she was part of the flock. No issues. I checked on her a couple of more times during the day and she was mingling fine. Treats work good. I have given the birds some treats in the evening and when they discovered them they would all go in for their treats and then I would close the pop door. This is just my opinion. Many probably won't agree with it, but it's what I would do. Good luck and have fun...

Thank you everyone, this is great advice!

OK I just re-measured the old coop, it is actually 2.5' x 2.66' on the closed side & the rest of that space was open, where they decided to lay their eggs (as you can see in the photo.) So those five poor little ladies (plus Jerry the Rooster) were packed into just under 7 sq. ft., the new coop is 24, so that's, eh, triple 3.5 times the size, roughly... Something like that. But it sounds like the old coop was very, very wrong from what I'm hearing...

Anyway, photos attached - the new coop is a lean-to 36" tall on one end to 48" tall at the other (roosting) end. The roosts are 10" high and 22" high, about 10" apart from each other & 72" long (the front one is near the center of the coop.)

(If I count the nesting boxes too, that's about 28 sq. ft., pretty close to that, I guess...)

So, now they're all finally going up together - but a new issue has surfaced. Jerry the Rooster is one of the first ones up in the coop, but instead of taking a perch on one of the roosts, he's going to the nesting boxes... Meaning I have to replace bedding every day, which is complicated by hens wanting to lay in the early morning. I have built what I call 'discouragement boards' which I can slide in to block off the nesting boxes just before dusk, and then remove once he gets up on a roost, but, is there a better way?

Also - based on these photos and the general wisdom / advice out there, this coop is too small for 10 hens & a rooster?

Thanks!

backyard_run.jpg
coops_side_by_side.jpg
backyard_run.jpg
coops_side_by_side.jpg
new_coop_inside.jpg
new_coop_opened.jpg
new_coop_side.jpg
old_coop_front.jpg

Attachments

• old_coop_side.jpg
    old_coop_side.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! IMHO both coops combined are not enough space for 10 chickens. I'm curious as to why you want them to roost together. Why not allow them to roost in whichever coop they want? I have 4 coops for my chickens and usually allow them to go into whichever one they want to. ATM one is being used as a look/no touch space for my young ones.

Well, I could re-fit the old coop properly, I suppose. But the way it is set up now just isn't workable. It should be raised properly on supports with a ramp, I think, for starters. At the very least, I don't like kneeling in the dirt for the daily cleanings (and mud with the Missouri rains we get) & I don't think it's the greatest for the birds either, to be on the ground... right? Also, I thought that the flock should sleep together, especially in the winter, for the combined body heat...?

Not that it matters, but, what happened originally is a neighbor of ours, back in July, was kind enough to give us the chickens and (old) coop when she moved away, and the way we set it up was exactly how she had it originally. I didn't know any better - I was trying to remedy that with the new space.

When the other neighbor asked us to take on her chickens (because she, too, was moving to a place that didn't allow them) I thought I had enough room - now feeling a bit discouraged. I should have researched better, apparently.

I wouldnt force them into one coop. I have a 2nd coop attached to my run that I use for my new chickens each spring. Once they've been acclimated to the flock I take down the barrier and have both coops open. The younger ones will still go roost in the one they are comfortable with, but over time as they become more integrated into the flock they eventually move over with the older ones. No reason to rush them. They figure it out at their own pace.

Back
Top Bottom