1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New coop and no eggs. Soooo Frustrated!!! Finally laying again.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by patman75, Dec 3, 2009.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Almost 2 weeks now I moved my chickens into their new winter coop. In the last 4 days I have gotten ZERO eggs from my 4 layers.

I have them on 18% layer feed, they have access to grit and oyster shells and can come an go into their run and coop as they please.

At first they started laying in the nest boxes. Then they stopped. I found that they were laying in the dark corner of the coop behind the tarp. I fixed the tarp and then they layed in front of the tarp. I knew the nest boxes there maybe in too bright of a spot because they are in front of the window (but this was on the only spot I could get outside access to the nest boxes). So and added curtians to the nest boxes and moved the feeder to the corner where they were laying to discourage from laying in the corner.

I found 1 egg 2 days ago in front of the door while digging around the in the pine shaving to find any hidden eggs. I stepped on it and the girls jumped off the roost to eat it up. Which make me wonder if they are eating the eggs if they are laying them on the floor. [​IMG]

I found today a soft shell egg so one of them is having issues with that. [​IMG]

I have checked under the coop and nothing there.

The temp has dropped to highs in the 30s and lows in the 20s. the coop gets a little dark fast because there is only one South-east facing window. I think I need to add a window to the door.

First thoughts are adding a light on a timer to get them more light.

Any thoughts/pictures on what nest box curtains should look like. (At least the curtains have stopped the youger chickens from sleeping in the nest boxes.)

This is sooo discouraging after building this coop. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any suggestions on what i can do??? [​IMG] HELP!!

Here are the pic of the coop.

[​IMG]

They were laying eggs behind the ramp in the back left corner behind the tarp.
    [​IMG]

Here is the nest boxes before the curtains, the window is directly to the right and the sun shines into the nest boxes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Add more chickens! [​IMG] Sorry but I am no help...besides adding a light on a timer ? But I like it ! Hows it ventilated? BY the window or are the vents on the other side?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  3. patman75

Quote:The over hangs are completely open and only closed off with hardware cloth. It is dry as a bone in the coop. Deep litter method.

4. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Never mind...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    That is a NIIIIICE coop!!!!!! Your girls should be leaving you many offerings for giving them that!!!!!!!!

6. patman75

Quote:I know!!! My family is teasing me that Chickens will want to come here to die, or it is actaully the future mother-in-law guest house.

7. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

from your pictures you have a nice coop but your problem is you dont have any chickens that i could tell , all kidding aside could they be molting ?

8. patman75

Quote:They layers are 8 months old.

9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Have you looked under the house? Once when mine 'quit laying" they were laying, but had hidden them. Birds have hidden their nest for centuries, and only need a little corner which can be easy to overlook.

You might, put the tarp back and let them lay there for a bit, until they get used to that state of the art chicken coop, I am drooling with envy, very nice. Once you get them laying, then encourage them back to the nests. I might go so far as to take the fake eggs out of the nests and put them back with the tarp, then if they lay there, gradually work them back toward the nests.

mrs.K

10. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    what is the tarp for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by