New Coop and Run 2016

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NapaDad705, Nov 19, 2016.

1. NapaDad705

NapaDad705 New Egg

Jul 15, 2016
    Hello all,

My family and I decided that we wanted to raise chickens this year. We had a spot in our back yard that wasn't being used for anything and decided that would be a perfect place to build one. the space measured about 8' x 9' and with 6 chickens i figured that would be plenty of room. I roped off the area and proceeded to do my research.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    8' x 9' area for the coop and run.

My family and I purchased the 6 chicks in July so that gave me time to research and come up with a plan that would work. All of the chicken coops I saw where just not what I was looking for and very expensive. For 6 chickens they ran anywhere from $500 to over $1000.00. I want a nice coop that would look good in my backyard but come on their chickens, so I decided to design my own. I found plans for a raised coop I liked from a DIY site and custom desigend the run because mine was going to be bigger then the video. (Click Here for You Tube video of raised coop)

The total cost was around $300 in material and a lot of sweat labor. I have basic construction skills and had built a shed years ago so this shouldn't be that daunting of a task. The best trick I learned was Home Depot has a 70% off bin back by where they cut wood. I was able to find warp and split pieces at a great discount. Best to check on a Monday because all the weekend warriors have wood cut and leave there smaller unwanted pieces behind.

(See below for my progress pictures.)

[​IMG]
    Coop base

[​IMG]
    Walls starting to go up.

[​IMG]
    Positioned in place and ready to install frame.

[​IMG]
    Roosting box mounted.

[​IMG]
    Stained and almost finished.

[​IMG]
    Beginning the run.

[​IMG]
    Completed with roof attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a fun project and Mocha, Frappacino, Goldie, Red, CC, Lucky and Fluffy but are happy. What is also a benefit it's not an eye sore for my backyard.

Good luck.

Napadad705.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Looks great! Only thing I see is that there could be a lack of ventilation if you put a ceiling under the rafters. Then you'll need to add a few gable vents near the high point of the roof.

If the interior is open and the air can flow out the top, you are good to go!

Nice job. Looks like your chickens will be really happy there.

3. NapaDad705

NapaDad705 New Egg

Jul 15, 2016
    Yes your right. What you can't see is the top does have openings for ventilation. I was also thinking about adding a window.

4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    It looks great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by