New Coop And Run finished now their freaking out

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nccountrygirl, Feb 25, 2008.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    We finally finished the new coop and run and DH shut up the old smaller coop now the girls are freaking out trying to get back in to their old home. Will they get used to laying in the new one? Yesterday was the first day DH shut up the smaller coop so they would get used to the new coop, well last night they did not go into the new coop till it was almost dark but they finally gave up and went in. 2 of the smaller girls laid in the new coop today but the big girls are running up and down the old run wanting in, will it get better? Sorry so long but I'm concerned about them being stressed out...Thanks

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Laura.............it took mine 3 or 4 days before they stopped hoppin and running around the old coop.........silly birds..........oh.....show pics [​IMG]

3. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Thanks Kathleen, I'll try to take some before I go to work today...

4. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    I've read on past threads here that you should close them in a new coop for 2-3 days straight...don't let them go outside. Then after the few days is over, you can let them out and they'll know where "home" is [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    When introducing birds to a new space (coop) it is best to confine them to it for at least a week or two so they get used to where their new, safe home is. I hope it all works out for your chooks and their new digs.

Jody

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, confine them in the new one for a few days or so, and they should get used to it. I deal with this all the time... however, not only do I close up the grower coop... I completely relocate it so they have nothing to go back to!

7. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I can't relocate the old one as they are connected to one another.

8. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Here is a small slideshow of the old coop and run and the new coop and run. It still needs to be painted but that will come when it warms up some.

[​IMG]

9. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Wow. Verry lucky chickens! [​IMG]

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Laura, that looks like the chicken taj mahal!!!! Tell Jeff he did an awesome job!! I love the windows, the chickens can see you coming with treats now!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by