New Coop and Run Ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MindyNE, Mar 25, 2015.

1. MindyNE

MindyNE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Nebraska
    I have 9 new chickens and 3 already so I built a new coop. I would appreciate any suggestions. I included pictures of my old coop for my 3 girls which did really well this winter. I built 4 nesting boxes from an old shelf and will block off about 1-2 feet of the inside of the coop for me to store a few things and gather the eggs. I'm planning on putting a small door on the side and attaching the old run to the new coop but I think I need to make it much larger for 12 chickens. They free range when I'm home but need to be in the run while I'm at work. The new shed is 7 ft by 7 ft but I took blocked off about 1-2 feet of that space. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Where are you? The answer is different for Georgia and for NY, where they need a place to go during the day when there is a lot of snow cover.

You can add a location to your postbit (just the state is fine) by going to your profile.

3. MindyNE

MindyNE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Nebraska
    I'm in Nebraska and we do have some nasty winter's. My old coop did really well last winter, but I only had three chickens then. With 12 (possibly 11 because one is probably a rooster) I will need much more space and I'm hoping it's enough.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your new shed might be cutting it a bit close or it might be fine. It looks like your run is covered; if it limits or stops the snow (and perhaps the wind on really windy days) so they can be outside during the day, the :"standard" would say it needs to be a minimum of 120 sq ft for 12 hens. Also, for 12 hens you only need 3 nest boxes. Be sure there is enough ventilation; 12 will put out a lot of humidity and ammonia. You might want to check out the articles in the first two links in my signature line. These were written by a Canadian some years ago and have become a bit of a gold standard here. Also, here is an excellent article on space:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by