new coop and run - is this OK? What should I change? pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by erindubb, Jun 21, 2010.

1. erindubb

erindubb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    I bought this coop from a farmer - who keeps all of her chickens (about 50+) in coops just like this all around her farm. About four per coop. So, I figured it would be perfect - tried and true. I visited her farm to pick up the coop and the chicks - and her chickens (and ducks) are really in coops like this. And seem content. She is able to let hers out to free range all day, and I had planned to do the same. But I live in the suburbs and even though I have a fenced in yard --- we have already had MANY issues with cats, hawks and one raccoon. Not to mention a neighborhood kid (REALLY!?!) and a few dogs that jumped our fence (or were let in by previously mentioned kid) . I realize that these should be other peoples problems not mine - since I have boundaries - but obviously - not every one does. MAKES ME NUTS. And since I don't really want to pick a fight with every one in the neighborhood because I do have to live here. And since I can't just sit outside all day and watch my free-ranging chickens......(even though I would like too!! [​IMG] ) I must make a living and also raise a few kids of my own! [​IMG]
    The only solution (other than getting rid of them altogether) was to build a run. Which you can see in the pic. I have yet to put hardware cloth on it - ran out of $$ till this week. I was wondering...
    A. Could I use something other than hardware cloth on the run -- like that wire that is recatngles (cheaper)
    B. Are my chickens going to be OK if I only let them out of this coop / run once a week (while I am watching the dumb cats)
    C. Do you see any problems with this set up? I am going to enclose the run and attach it to the coop and also considering enclosing the bottom part of the coop (it is 1.5 foot tall under there) so they have even more space to run around. After they scratch up all the grass - I am planning on using sand / gravel. The run is 8 ft long.
    What do you guys think????? Thanks....Erin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    my four sweet girls and their cute chicken butts. [​IMG]

2. erindubb

Apr 18, 2010
    I forgot to mention that the floor of the coop is hardware cloth so the poop just falls to the ground. It was designed like this by the farmer I bought it from on purpose because they love that feature. If I decide to close in the bottom part - do I need to change the floor of the raised coop so they don't poop on each other? Or will they be OK?

3. erindubb

Apr 18, 2010
    What do you think? OK for four?

4. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    My parrots have larger cages than so many I'm seeing here lately on the forum. So many people start out with tiny chicks, I'm wondering if they realize these chickens get much bigger!!

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    They look happy... You might make the nesting area a little more enclosed. I think your little flock is lucky... how old??? It sounds like you could have a predator problem if you go with anything other than hardware cloth.

6. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I noticed that it appears that the hardware cloth is attached with staples. A coon can pull it off and be inside the coop in about 2sec. I suggest screws and washers or a strip of metal/wood and screws.

7. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Does the coop (I would consider it a hutch actually) have more then 1 roost? (As the birds grow, you might find you need larger diameter roosts) I think its going to be on the small side for adults. They are loosing alot of floor space with the nest box, waterer and food on the floor.

Where are you located? Do you have extremely hot summers and not so cold winters? I think you will have to do some covering for winters. And if you have nasty winters, its not going to be large enough if they dont want to go outside. I personally would make a solid floor. They arent going to get all cozy and warm if no wood chips or hay.

The run looks tiny. I would use it for chickys just old enough to go outside. But adults, maybe 1.

What is under your deck?
    Could you make that a run? It might be a little on the dark side, but it already has a pretty predator proof roof. Could give them lots of xtra outdoor space and you would only need to buy wire.
    Good luck

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. erindubb

Apr 18, 2010
    Wow - thank you guys for the great feedback. I am going to look into making under the deck a run! Great idea. I was planning on eventually somehow attaching the nestbox to the outside of the hutch so they have more space inside. and my nipples came yesterday - so the new waterer will be hung asap too. any other ideas? this is awesome.

9. erindubb

Apr 18, 2010
    I guess I should say that i have four - but two are bantams - so maybe it is more like 3? as far as space needed? I made the hutch / run as big as I was allowed. but under the deck - - i am going to look into that!

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.its a cute coop, but frankly i think its a bit too small. its more of a hutch style. (not meant for chickens) (maybe other small pets)
    the idear of the run looks great!
    could you enclose the main coop better? siding up? perhaps for the elements of rain? where are you located? do you have winters? my concern is the space issue. the chickens are going to get alot bigger.
    i see no issues with the run, just adjust the main housing.

good luck:cool:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by