New Coop and Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TexasEggRancher, Feb 28, 2018.

1. TexasEggRancher

TexasEggRancher Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Alvin , Texas
    Coop 2.jpg Coop 1.jpg Well , finally getting started on the new Coop and Run. It's modeled after a Carolina Coop. The whole thing will be 6' x 14' with a gable roof. The coop section will be 4' x 6' raised 3 1/2' off the ground. Going to put a roof the whole length of the coop/run and have laying boxes/nests that we can access from the outside of the coop.Plan on housing 5-6 egg laying chickens. Going to use 1/2" squared hardware cloth. I will try to add pictures as I get farther along. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crowing

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Very nice! Looks like you're off to a great start!

TexasEggRancher likes this.
  3. TexasEggRancher

TexasEggRancher Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Alvin , Texas
    coop 3.jpg coop 4.jpg coop 5.jpg
    Slowly getting there , will be putting the roof on next weekend.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I do have some ideas here; your structure is very nice!
    Having a solid roof is the best, for shade, and protection. Wide roof overhangs are better, can you still add them? More shade in summer, and weather protection.
    Lots of ventilation is really Important, so having a big hardware covered window, or an open side, on your 'coop' area, will be good.
    Consider the whole thing a coop!!! If it's built predator proof, it will be. In cold weather, doubled rolled plastic over the north and west sides at least , and part of the east side, will make it cozy.
    Consider 2"x4" woven wire over the hardware cloth on the lower three or four feet of the structure. Extra safe!
    Will you be moving it? Protection from digging predators needs to be done somehow.
    Insulating the roof helps with summer heat, and shade plantings matter too.
    Mary

5. Wolfgang B.

Wolfgang B. Songster

Oct 2, 2017
    Stuttgart
    Love it so far!
    Eventually I want to build a coop/run myself, feeling very inspired by your pictures!
    I have one question: are these concrete bases 100% not going to sink into the ground? Because it seems to be such a smart way to do it, almost too easy to be true! :)

6. TexasEggRancher

TexasEggRancher Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Alvin , Texas
    Thanks for the advice Mary , and I do plan on incorporating some of your ideas in the build. I will keep yall posted on the progress.

7. TexasEggRancher

TexasEggRancher Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Alvin , Texas
    Thanks for the compliments Wolfgang B. , As far as the blocks not ever sinking , I doubt they will always stay perfect , but I can always re-level the structure as needed.

Harley Chick and Wolfgang B. like this.
  8. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    LIKE PROTO TYPE.gif thumbs-up.gif

9. Wolfgang B.

Wolfgang B. Songster

Oct 2, 2017
    Stuttgart
    Right! Looking forward to more progress pictures!

10. TexasEggRancher

TexasEggRancher Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Alvin , Texas
    A few more pics of the progress , picked up the sheet metal for the roof. Hope to start painting this weekend . Still need to build doors, windows , and install hardware cloth. IMG_5703.jpg IMG_5709.jpg IMG_5711.jpg

keeks&kiwimom and aart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: