New coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jnswright, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jnswright

jnswright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    North Texas
    I've been reading and preparing for quite a while and thought I would share our progress...

We purchased this coop a couple of months ago (craigslist find). When I called about the listing I asked how many people should I bring to get the coop onto a flatbed. The aswer was four men... boy am I glad we had extra friends that came to help... it took 10 of us to lift the coop onto the trailer. Anyways... we got it to the house and put it in place.

[​IMG]

I'm not a construction guy, so building the run has been a "growing" experience. I mean, give me a bunch of computer parts and I can build a computer for you, but give me a bunch of wood, nails, screws, etc. and I get lost very quickly... Here is the run from near the beginning... You can see where I started digging holes for the run structure. The run itself is appx 12' x 12'.

[​IMG]

I don't know if you can tell or not, but in this photo you might be able to see that where the run is is covered in asphalt and not level at all...

[​IMG]

This is our progress from last night. We have leveled the run (at least mostly level). Put in the 4x4 posts (2 feet deep and filled with concrete). We've put in the kicker board at the bottom and nearly finished the top rails (all 2x6's). We're using Simpson ties to put it all together. The front is 8 feet tall and the back is 6 feet tall... don't even get me started about figuring out how to make diagonal cuts on a 4x4 while being 8 feet in the air... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to get this finished (mostly finished maybe - we'll see) this weekend...

John

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Very nice!! [​IMG]

3. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    All I can say is "Awesome"! Love your sturdy run.

5. jnswright

jnswright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    North Texas
    Thanks...

We figured we would start with a smaller coop and if we catch on to the chicken keeping, we could move the small coop and replace it with a larger one (or maybe just add another one)... I don't like having to rebuild things (since I'm not that handy at carpentry) and I try to do it right the first time (hence the sturdy run)... [​IMG]

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey, Thats looking great...keep the pics coming as you progress.
    Erik

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    [​IMG]

9. CrestedGirl