New coop "Big Daddy's Chicken Shack" NEW PICS Page 2

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kirtusjon, May 2, 2009.

1. Kirtusjon

Kirtusjon Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to this form and read more then post. I thought I would share my build with anyone who may be interested. It is an 8' X 8' and 4' from floor to ceiling and is mobile on skids 2' off the ground. It will house 13 large chickens with (6) 16" X 16" nests. There will be an 18" X 4' brooder pen with a 16" X 18" nest in one corner. Also there is a 2' X 2.5' storage/feed room. It will have (3) 8' roosts and to many other little details. Here are a few starting pics. As I continue the build, I will update with pics.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] looks good so far!!!

3. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks great, keep the pics coming!

4. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Lookin good.

5. Kirtusjon

Here is the laiest look at the new coop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    6 nests with some privicy

[[​IMG]
    out side look at nests will have outside access

[​IMG]
    this corner has 4'x1'6" brooder coop and 2'x2'6" feed/storage room

[​IMG]
    last, these are my roost (2) are 8' and (1) is 4' with stairs

Thanks

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Boy, that is a solid coop---nice job!! [​IMG]

What were those decorative horizontal pieces before they became part of your framework? (Too bad the birdies will never see the pattern.) [​IMG]

7. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    How have I not seen your post before?!
    It looks great.
    Ours are simular with the 4' walls and about 3' off the ground. Mine will be on pillar brace. I wish mine was as big as yours! I am using a pallet for my floor that was used for shipping marble and it is only 5'x7'. I have two large windows that open up on one side to do the coop cleaning. I like how how it is going to be off the ground, I won't have to kill my back trying to clean it out. I should be able to reach each cornor inside with a rake.

Now I'm debating with myself if I should put up a center wall and divide it into to coops coops one side for the 4-H and layers the other side for brooders....hummmmm

Are you going to have a slant to your roof for rain/snow run off?

8. Kirtusjon

Sorry about the delay in re posting. Been a bit busy.

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil :

How have I not seen your post before?!

Are you going to have a slant to your roof for rain/snow run off?

It's a little hard to see in the pics but, yes there is a slight pitch. it is 12 foot long roof that drops 3 inches from one end to the other. For Florida, it will be enough because there is no worry for snow just rain. It was just easier that way on construction.

ducks4you

What were those decorative horizontal pieces before they became part of your framework? (Too bad the birdies will never see the pattern.)

I'm not sure what you are referring to. I believe you may be talking about the 2x4 's on the back of my nests. It is cedar to help with mite control in the nest. It does not give off the "fumes" of shavings but does help with mites etc. I am sure some will disappove of cedar but I have never had a promlem "IF" you use solid wood and not shavings, and don't over do it.
    P.S. as long as they lay an egg, they will see it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Thats a fantastic looking coop! [​IMG]

10. Kirtusjon

Thank you for your positive input. Just got the roof on but here comes the rain. It's Florida and it's been rain everyday this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by