New coop build. Ventilation/ siding question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dnowa1975, Jun 4, 2011.

1. dnowa1975

dnowa1975 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Kent City, Michigan
    I'm almost done with my consolidation coop build. It will end up being 12x8 and 7+ft high. I am siding half of it with free 100yr old barn siding I got off CL. The siding doesn't exactly fit tight and their are some gaps in between. I was thinking of caulking the gaps and maybe siding the inside at the seams where the gaps are with extra wood. My wife says to leave it as a form of ventilation. It is all over 4ft up from the floor (I used plywood for the first 4ft). Any thoughts or opinions? I will have other vents on all 4 side..windows and actual vents.
    Thanks

2. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Im curious about your answers as well, I have a few gaps in our coop and I was planning to fill them in with caulk but hubby asked if I thought the chickens would try to eat it or something? I think if I smooth it out enough they'd never know but now he has me worried [​IMG]

3. dnowa1975

Mar 24, 2011
    Kent City, Michigan
    Anybody? [​IMG]

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I personally would caulk the gaps and plan my ventilation, but then again, I'm obsessive. Just thinking it would make it easier for bugs to get in if I left it uncaulked. A few gaps in wood will not provide enough ventilation anyway. Just my opinion - I'm new at this.

5. dnowa1975

Mar 24, 2011
    Kent City, Michigan
    Ok. I have other ventilation so it will not be really a designed function. And I'm not too worried about bugs since the chickens usually keep the house bug free

6. cooper38

cooper38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    What type of siding is it, a lap siding or just barn boards ran vertically butted up together? If it is ran vertically make it into what is board and batten siding which is covering the gaps or butt joints with a 1 1/2" - 2" strips.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:If you're in Michigan I'd close up those gaps. Ventilation is good but beyond a certain minimum temperature/windspeed you need to be able to CONTROL it so it's only on the downwind side. Wood battens (rather than caulk) are the traditional method, if it matters.

Good luck,have fun,

Pat

8. harri

harri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I agree with cooper. Run the boards horizontaly and apply 2" wide batten strips to cover the gaps between each board. Many sheds and barns are built this way. You may need to install horizontal framing members between your studs for nailers.

9. harri

harri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Sorry,, in that last post i meant to say run the boards "vertically"!!

10. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would close up the gaps to keep the out the wind during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by