1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new coop build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 3forfree, Dec 21, 2012.

1. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    new build isn't going very good. Working alone with these 12ft 4x4's isn't fun. Had one fall the other day and I tried to "catch" it, back went out, took out one of the 2x4's in floor frame. These 4x4's are hardwood and the drill's are breaking that I'm using for pilot holes, I've taken the 4x4's out and am using 4x6's that the neighbor gave me. They are only about 6ft so they are easier to handle. This frame is from an old ice fishing shanty and isn't the nicest piece i've seen. I'm trying to use recycled wood for everything but some of this frame isn't the best and I may have to buy something.
    [​IMG]

2. Orchard Farm

Orchard Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    looks like great start!

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Patience is key.
    Do you have the hardened drill bits? Try drilling in stages with a small bit then go up a size or two until you reach the one you want to use.

It is a good start. Maybe when you are on the hard parts someone can come lend a hand.

4. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    decided to make a smaller coop. Still using the 4x6's but got some recycled 2x4's and plywood from my neighbor and started on a 4x8 coop yesterday. Got the base made, plywood put down and linoleum put on.Three wall's put up. the temps supposed to be in the 40's tomorrow and friday, so I will paint what's exposed to the weather. Slow going working alone.

5. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    progress pic

[​IMG]

6. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Pretty much done with the coop and run. Working in single digit weather sucks. I put a single hight roost in it, don't know how that's going to work out but it'll have to do. Got an exterior nest box installed and closed off until they're ready to use it, they're only 10wks. Going to put food and water in the run. Have been using a cookie tin water heater inside the barn where they are now and it works real good. also have a five gallon pail for a feeder that was used for pheasants. I'll take pics today and post later.

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Looking good!!!

8. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    not bad for using used wood. i wish i had a pile of wood, new or used

9. LiveFromTahoe

LiveFromTahoe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Not bad so far. Think about cleaning and access as you go. Mine is a pain to clean

10. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    ease of cleaning was the first thing on my mind. I put two cafe doors on the front just for that.I went out to where the coop is today to take pics, then realized that I didn't have my camera. tomorrow for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by