New Coop- Built inside a old building

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by admhotel, May 17, 2010.

1. admhotel

admhotel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    Finally started building on the coop for the chicks we got a few weeks ago. The wife wanted me to build a whole new coop, lots of work and lots of supplies to buy. I finally conviced her to allow me to build it in the end of a shed that we have here on the farm. I think it was a coop at one time. So far I haven't had to spend anything on the build and hopefully the only thing I will have to purchase will be some hinges for the door and nesting boxs.

Any input or ideas would be much appreciated.
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    The last pic is shortly after we got them, they are alot bigger now!!

2. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Nice place you have !!! enjoyed the pics very much , best to You .

Quote:

3. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

Way to repurpose an existing building! Nice that you have the option - I probably would've done the same thing given the option. I look forward to following your progress!

4. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    If you want to save even more money and time, don't make nest boxes. Just use what you have. Milk crates, 5 gallon buckets, small clothes baskets, unused kitty litter boxes will all work. Use the search function and put in "5 gallon bucket nest boxes" for ideas on how to mount them.

5. rebecky1305

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Oh and [​IMG] from Michigan. Glad you could join us!

6. rebecky1305

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
  7. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Oh nice!! I am subscribing to this for sure. I can't wait to see your progress.

8. admhotel

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    Got alittle more done on it tonight, door is made and the rest of the fence is up. Just have to cover the window and put some hinges on the door and I could move them in. I was thinking of painting the inside, just not sure what color. It is pretty dark in there right now until I get some elec. run to it. Should I paint it a lighter color or will that make it look dirty later on down the road?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also got a picture of our "flock"

9. rebecky1305

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    I love your flock. My ducklings aren't old enough yet to add to the hens. Soon I hope!

10. admhotel

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    Well, got the coop painted today and hopefully will be "moving in" tomarrow. Run to be built later on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The paint is left over from painting our house [​IMG] , the flash on my camera makes it look weird though [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by