New Coop - But???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Doc Roger, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Doc Roger

Doc Roger Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2014
    Purgatory,Ca.
    I built a brand new insulated coop for my Rooster and hen. Now how do I get them to use it??? They free range during the day and always return to old coop at night. I have blocked the entrance but they will not go up there ramp and into new coop. This maybe a difficult job as my rooster is older and has used other coop over 4 years now. He also is kinda wild and darts around,hard to catch.
    I've put the hen in, but she comes back out. I think the secret would be to get him to go in. I am warming the new coop with a heat lamp thinking that will be inviting?? Any Ideas? Thanks

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Maybe a trail of feed, something he finds irresistible? Once they do go in you might have to keep them in the new coop a few days to imprint it on them.

Btw, welcome to BYC! Is the bird in your avatar one of yours?

3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    It is an issue of habit. After dark, take them in their slumber off the perch, put them on the roost in the new coop. There will be no resistance. Lock them in the new coop (and run) with no access to old coop for a few days. Once they accept the new coop as home, they will return every night.

BTW, you might inadvertently ignite a fire on the topic of heating the coop.

1 person likes this.
  4. Doc Roger

Nov 21, 2014
    Purgatory,Ca.
    yep, thats my rooster - Doc. Very good free range rooster.Takes care of hens, finds food, see hawks etc. Put kind of wild. Think I,ll have to catch with blanket and get him in the new coop.

5. Doc Roger

Nov 21, 2014
    Purgatory,Ca.
    Thank-you. Didn't think of that! If I go into the coop -- after dark-- you think he won't fight me. And just move him over to new perch. Easier than trying to catch him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by