New coop- chickens won't go in on own

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenmomma30, Nov 18, 2016.

1. chickenmomma30

chickenmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Pine Island, NewYork
    Hello! I got my group a new coop yesterday, a beautiful more spacious amish built one. The one they had before was a tiny pre-fab one from tractor supply. I was so excited for them and yet I got home last night and they were all sleeping in the run instead of coop. Today they were all gathered around coop door peering in but refused to go in on own. I put them all in both nighrs and shut the door. Will this change? The other coop was their only home.

2. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    They are scared of anything new. You should confine them in the coop for a few days so they learn that is their new home.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego

x2

1 person likes this.
  4. Cbennich

Cbennich Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    How nice! They are thinking about it if they are peering in. I would keep putting them in at night. It shouldn't be long. Maybe if you put the 'leader' in first the others will follow? It's not fun having to put them in for sure. My girls heard 'our' bobcat at dusk last night. They flew to the loft in the run and didn't get in the coop before the pop door went down. So we were out putting hens in by flashlight.

1 person likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try putting a night light inside as it starts to get dark. Chickens that are unfamiliar with new digs need to see what's in there. They're sort of like toddlers who need to have a light on as they drop off to sleep and the closet door closed tight so the "bad things" in there won't get out during the night and eat them.

After they're going in on their own for a few nights, you can remove the light. Even a small flashlight will work if you don't have electricity.

1 person likes this.
  6. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Just out of curiosity, can you post a picture of this new coop?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy chickenmomma30

When we built our new coop we had lots of little helpers [​IMG] and they were used to being in and around it before it became their permanent new home. On the day we took away their old pre-fab coop and they had no choice but to sleep in the completed new one, they walked straight up the ramp and roosted; never looked back.

My point being that I agree with everyone else in that chickens do not like change or anything new.

It sounds like the arrival of the new coop was not a gradual thing and agree that they will just need some time to get used to it.

A couple more nights of you having to put them to bed and I think they should love it as much as you do.

1 person likes this.
  9. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Aren't chickens funny?? When we got our first batch of chickens, their run was set up by the garden. After a few months we built them a nice coop about thirty yards away. Those silly chickens kept going back to the old location- there was nothing there though- for weeks! The ducks learned by the second day where their new home was, but the chickens kept huddling in the dirt at the site of their former home and I'd have to carry them to the new house every night. Silly birds.

1 person likes this.
  10. chickenmomma30

chickenmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Pine Island, NewYork
    No

No unfortunately I wasn't able to do it gradually due to my work schedule. I had to pull the old one out to get the new one up and although they watched from the yard they came in that night to the new coop. Not ideal but I had no choice. I hope they learn to like it soon. I over worry about my flock!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by