new coop contest idea

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by BellLisamo, May 3, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Ok so a couple of us have thought about how cool it would be to start a "Green chicken coop" contest. Obviously its all about going green and using anything that was scrap or something you recycled. Let me know what you all think. Its hard to go up against coops that were build with 1000's of dollars put into it, when you have a recycled, completely free coop.

Thank you!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well unfortunately, I've got one of those thousand dollar coops... and some hefty change spent on some breeding pens!

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:hmm wonder why there money maker!!! [​IMG] haha!! but its ok! you worked for it! you can have whatever you want! [​IMG]

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I built my coop from scrap lumber... it's not pretty and at the time I had no idea what the heck I was doing... so I think I'd be ashamed to show it! [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree with Bellisamo.
    Not that I have anything against the high end coops I love looking at them and getting wonderful ideas.
    I think mine probably falls somewhere inbetween the two.
    I also love to see inginuity at work and think it would be really fun to see a contest . . . say maybe functioning coops that cost under 100.00 . . . with extra points for under 50.00?
    My girlfriend is a scrap heap queen and she built what we call the "chiken bunker", I doubt she spent 10.00 on it andits wayyyy better than my middle of the road one.
    With so many people tight on money and wanting to raise chickens for economical reasons, I think this is a fun idea!

6. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
  7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    that is awesome [​IMG]

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:dont be ashamed, look at mine! if it works and they are safe, then its perfect!

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Don't be ashamed of your coop Iowa Roo Mom! [​IMG]

I've seen a lot of backyard (rural) coops in the last month---been horse-shopping--where they've spent little time and effort.

Throw some "recycled" leftover paint on it and become an entry! [​IMG]

I WANT this contest--I'd like to see how green we all can be! [​IMG]

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    This is a really cool contest idea. I'll bring it up to the rest of the Staff for discussion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by