New Coop..Crazy Man..Lots Done Today, Many Pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fireguy56, Oct 16, 2011.

1. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi all, Well I got after it this morning when I got off duty and knocked out alot of tiedious work on nest boxes, siding, trim and painting. Had a deadline of 1: 30 'cause we had folks coming over to hangout in the "Man Cave" and watch out Saints beatup on the Bucs. So, working non-stop since about 7:30...this is what I did. Hope ya like. First Picture is how the right side of coop looked when I started this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Ran a few pieces of siding and trimmed out the clean out door, then built the first nest box and installed in the opening I left during framing the coop.

[​IMG] Got the second nest box in place.

[​IMG] roof on neat boxes completed with drip edge and felt.

[​IMG] Paint and trim on nest boxes finished, ready for shingles, then trim out horizontal windows over boxes, glass and soffit. Doors on nest boxes and cleanout will be done when I do the front door. All will be painted green.

[​IMG] Wife wanted a picture of me with what I did today...she still thinks I am crazy.

Hey, as usual any comments or suggestions at this point would be appreciated. Go Saints!
    Erik

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Your coop absolutely ROCKS!!! I know you had another thread going about your build - can you keep adding to the same thread so we can see the progress?
    Really outstanding work - wish I had a coop like yours...

4. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    San Diego, Sorry, will do that in the future. Wasn't sure how that worked so I just would start a new thread with current pics. Thanks for suggestion.
    Erik

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice coop! I didn't think it was that big until I saw the pic of you next to it! You apparently are a skilled tradesman as the construction is wonderful. Kudos [​IMG]

6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

you need to add a second BYC coop page! Coop 1 and Coop 2. [​IMG] This is amazing! LOVE it! I'm just stunned with how fast you are working. Geez. Took me nearly all day yesterday to sand down my old used windows, knock out old putty, put new in, and get my first coat of paint on. You've practically sided and added two nest boxes in that amount of time. [​IMG] Advice?? Nope! Just send me your secrets for working so dang fast! Of course, I don't know what I'm doing- so I'm having to google stuff. LOL Can't wait to see it done! (....tomorrow?) hehe!!

7. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hawkeye, Well...long story. 56 and have Adult Hyperactivity, Attention Deficite Disorder, so ...my wife affectionately calls me the 6' 2" energizer bunny. When I get on a roll I don't stop. My goal today was to do as much as I could without stopping until the game was close to coming on. Will definitely do a play by play on new coop on my page. We're calling it the "Bantam Bungalow". Thanks for kind words and following our progress. Have looked at yours as well and really looking good...just understand that most here on BYC are doing their thing without much or any experience, and doing a great job. I have been building things all my life and doing remodeling / construction work for over 35 years, so I have alittle advantage over some. Losts of great builds out there. Just glad to share ours with other chicken lovers.
    Erik

8. Debbiedodo

Debbiedodo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    White Cloud, MI
    Great coop! Can't wait to see more pictures. Crazy? Sure, but just like the rest of us here.

9. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    AMAZING work man! [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your progress and thanks for taking the time to share with us!!

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Wowwwww [​IMG] Amazing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by