New coop design

timriley0927

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
I wanna rebuild my coop do y'all think being 41 inches off the ground would be too high for chicken to get in and out the coop

I wanna use the space under the coop I'm new too chickens what do u think is good hieght

If you want to use the space under the coop, your chickens won't need anything more than 28-30" I would think. Now if it's YOU that wants ease to get under there to clean, etc., than I'd advise re-thinking your setup maybe. My coop is 'attached' to the run...there's no "under" at all. My run is 6' at the one side down to 4-1/2" on the low end...best decision I ever made. I'm 70 years old and stooping, etc., is just not in my vocabulary any more!!
old.gif

The coop I'm thinking bout building is a 4 x6 box attach with a run. Just don't know want idea how high to set the coop

Do you mean something like this? http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/f/fa/900x900px-LL-fa625fe1_DSCI0011.jpeg

Mine is around 28". The only reason I went this route was it used to be a kids play house and already had a floor in it. It does serve well as a roof so my feed doesn't get wet.

Access is a bit of a pain with only one door on the narrow side. It works ok since the door is wide enough to fit the waterer and feeder in. Shoveling it out is pretty easy. The couple times I have had to climb under there sucks. My suggestion would be to have a nice sized door on the wide side so you can reach in easily.

It's around 28" give or take a few inches. You can crawl under it on your hands and knees. They have dug out holes under there from dust bathing so it does vary.

My suggestion for the 4'x6' coop is to have your underneath access door on the 6 foot side and make it plenty wide or even have two doors. Just keep in mind you may have to crawl under there sometime. Height wise I would agree 30" would be more than enough for the chickens.

Before this fall I plan on making a full height door in the front under the white door. I had also thought of doing most of the caged area under the coop solid walls for winter. Would be easier to keep drafts out in winter and give the girls more sheltered space.

Back
Top Bottom