New Coop DIY Up and Running!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kmbadger, Jun 26, 2016.

1. kmbadger

kmbadger Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Temple, TX
    Still need to paint, put a more permanent roof and plant some plants around it. 3 of our flock are currently in it. 1 Blue Silkie Hen, 1 Black (Mottled?) Hen and our Rooster. The chicks are inside until they grow. The first night out the 3 largest went inside their coop all by themselves, it was awesome and they're so happy. Suggestions for more shade? Was thinking of planting a tree near by, but tarp for now maybe? Also going to plant something around the coop on the outside. We are in Texas!

The coop is 3ft x 4ft, and their run is 8ft x 4ft + the 3x4 area under their coop :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paint color suggestions anyone??

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Lowes sells a shade cloth by the foot. It is super cost effective.
    The air goes through it so the wind wont catch it as easily. Tarps that are solid can take flight in high wind. Just something to think about.
    I use it on my veggie gardens to keep the peppers from sun scorch as well as on the chicken runs to provide some shade while allowing air to move.

OH for paint color I am fond of sage green and cream colors. A suggestion to make the wood last longer if I may. Use a really good primer and do 2 coats to seal the wood so it does not delaminate on you.

[​IMG]

You can see the shade cloth on this run in the left of the pic.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. kmbadger

kmbadger Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Temple, TX
    I will check out that shade cloth. Cream/Sage green might be a good color combo, especially for this hot sun!

4. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Are there windows and/or ventilation and I am just missing it? I hope so. Otherwise I think it is just adorable. :)

5. kmbadger

kmbadger Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Temple, TX

Oh yes lol. I'll get some more pictures after we paint. There is a decent size "window" on the opposite side of their door that is chicken wire so they can get air circulation through it and their run door (not just my door). :) Plus... I plan on getting them a fan to pull in some cool air. Not spoiled at all haha.

6. Elemes

Elemes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    WV
    My Coop
    Did you get it all finished yet? I'm currently DIYing a coop, as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by