1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new coop, do you think the girls will object to this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Frogdogtimestwo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Okay, it's happening to me (lets not say the word) I built a new coop in the bottom of our kids seldom used fort. I would like to try something different from the other coops nest boxes, I took an old bookshelf that was going to be donated and added dishpans for the boxes. Do you think they will use them???
    [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Is there a way to make a shelf over the top of the buckets? They like to feel enclosed.... About 12-14" above the shelf where the buckets are sitting would be a good height.

3. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  4. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    [​IMG] Nice Idea do ya think it might work for ducks as well?? [​IMG]

5. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I have two of those pans on the floor of my hen house. I find eggs in them every day.

Of note is that my girls tend to flip these pans over so I put large (ish) rocks in the bottom under the shavings to weigh them down a bit. I don't think you'll have this problem, but I do agree on the divider between the pans.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you put a perch along the front, they could just step into the pans, instead of having to jump up onto the pan edge. I might help them feel more stable, in case the pans would wobble when the chickens landed on the edge.

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    that should work , I like the plastic too , we just had the drywaller finish up and he left
    15, 5 gallon buckets so we're going to use them on the side and leave a lip to hold the shavings in. I love free. we are going to put them in backwards with part of the bottom cut out. We got the idea from one of the posts here.

8. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by