new coop, do you think the girls will object to this?

Frogdogtimestwo

Songster
13 Years
May 21, 2008
Okay, it's happening to me (lets not say the word) I built a new coop in the bottom of our kids seldom used fort. I would like to try something different from the other coops nest boxes, I took an old bookshelf that was going to be donated and added dishpans for the boxes. Do you think they will use them???
10773_100_3086.jpg

Is there a way to make a shelf over the top of the buckets? They like to feel enclosed.... About 12-14" above the shelf where the buckets are sitting would be a good height.

I have two of those pans on the floor of my hen house. I find eggs in them every day.

Of note is that my girls tend to flip these pans over so I put large (ish) rocks in the bottom under the shavings to weigh them down a bit. I don't think you'll have this problem, but I do agree on the divider between the pans.

If you put a perch along the front, they could just step into the pans, instead of having to jump up onto the pan edge. I might help them feel more stable, in case the pans would wobble when the chickens landed on the edge.

that should work , I like the plastic too , we just had the drywaller finish up and he left
15, 5 gallon buckets so we're going to use them on the side and leave a lip to hold the shavings in. I love free. we are going to put them in backwards with part of the bottom cut out. We got the idea from one of the posts here.

Back
Top Bottom