1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Coop exterior now suitable for viewing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickpa, Apr 29, 2007.

1. chickpa

chickpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2007
    [​IMG]

Well, It has been like playing Jazz. I had a couple of old windows and I had an idea in my head. I started building without a plan and this is what transpired. I bought the siding and trim from the rebuilding center in Portland - used. Most of the framing was used scraps I had left over from various projects. I sort of cheated by making an addition off my yard building. So I only had to build three walls. I need to add a door off the front for the girls and enclose an area in front of the coop. There will be a walk in door on the wall you cant see. Interior next... I am impressed at the coops I have seen on the forum with with their easy cleaning and feeding access features. They were clearly built with a plan... I sort of neglected that part so I will have to walk in and out of the coop to clean and feed. Oh well, I can always play a little more coop music and jazz it up in the future. More to come.

By the way, I have 4 lovely girls who are still in the basement with a light. They are about 6 weeks or so. A RIR, an Americauna, a barred rock and a buff orpington. I cant wait to get them moved in to the new home.

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I like it!
    Looks nice, i'm about 3 hours north of you and wondering how good of deals you get at that place you got the sideing.
    I'm in the middle of building a coop myself.

3. chickpa

Mar 29, 2007
    Buying materials at the Rebuilding Center in Portland, Oregon, I seem to end up paying half what I would spend for new materials. Sometimes I do even better than that. It is a huge operaion which is well organized. They have a warehouse filled with lumber and it is nicely divided into the various types from structural to trim. Other parts of the store have plumbing, electrical, doors, windows... You name it. It is the ideal chicken coop supply. The price is right and you are reusing materials so you get good karma at the same time. I also like that you can get materials which are unique. The trim boards which I found were rough sawn fir strips which were 3" wide. Many of them contained square nails which is good for character.

Here is the link:

http://www.rebuildingcenter.org/

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Nice looking coop...I really like the wood shake roof, I noticed that right off (DH is a roofing contractor). Both of my coops have wood shake roofs and I love the rustic charm of shakes.
    Stephanie

5. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Nice job! Can't wait to see the inside pics when you are done.

6. jeremy frenz

jeremy frenz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    portland OR
    wow! nice coop [​IMG] it is a lot better then mine lol i just finished mine yesterday. i live a cross the street from rose city elementry school were are you?

7. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Beautiful! You should join the coop tour!

I love the rebuilding center. We got the window for our coop there, as well as some cabinet doors we used for the front door.

I can't wait to see more pictures - of the coop and your new girls!

8. chickpa

Mar 29, 2007
    I am in the Hayhurst area in SW Portland - near Gabriel Park. The coop is not too visible from the street - I dont know how the coop tour is set up. Could you describe the event for me? I will definitely post more pictures as the coop progresses.[​IMG]

9. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    The coop tour is great, we go every year - here is the site for it http://growing-gardens.org/portland-gardening-resources/chickens.php

Basically
    a couple of garden stores in town sell maps to local chicken coops, and for a period of a few hours you go from house to house seeing people's coops and meeting their chickens. Some people around here have some really neat arrangements, and it's nice to talk to locals about their chicken experiences.

Even if you don't put your coop on the tour, you should try and go on the tour - it's great fun!

Also, off of that same website you will find a link to the local portland chicken people yahoo group.

10. chickpa

Mar 29, 2007
    OK I have a question. Every third or fourth email on this board has the abbreviation DH. I am assuming it does not stand for designated hitter. Perhaps it could be dear heart. Dead head? There could be some overlap between chicken lovers and Jerry Garcia fans. Dummy head? There are several rated R ideas which come to mind. Then there is Darling Husband. That is so obvious. Couldn't be. That would be too easy. Help me out here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by