New Coop Finally Done

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Deviled Eggs, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Deviled Eggs

Deviled Eggs New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Hi Folks, First Post. Over the past month Ive been putting together this coop.

Ive taken the advise to not build something that will be replaced in just a year or two.

Seems sturdy, half is recycled , mostly pressure treated wood with regular wood where it is not exposed.

No roost boxes yet I will be attaching some to the right side.

The left side gets all the weather so that wall has no openings and is even insulated on the inside.

Made my own vents for the coop, the outside vents I thought single slots that a large animal cant fit through would be safe.

Put a poop board on the inside but so far the chickens dont roost willingly, but when set on the roost they do stay there overnight.

So far Ive found 3 dominiques, one egyptian fayoumi , and one sick silkie for our first flock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FuzzyChicken

FuzzyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    PEI, Canada
    nice job DE!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sweet! Looks cozy and predator proof! Nice work!!

4. backyardcelia

backyardcelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    looks like a joy to live in and to clean up! i will be taking some notes :) for sure!

5. Deviled Eggs

Deviled Eggs New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks everyone, so far they have not gotten out so thats a plus.

Here's a shot of the inside showing the roost , some conduit ran to a shed to drag in an extension cord with, and a metal sliding door for a future coop door opener.

The fence is buried about 6in down accept by the door havent gotten that yet and then there is always more to paint.

and there's also a picture of where the roost boxes will go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    SWEET!

Well done.
    I need to redo my entire set up in order to put a solid roof on mine in the spring. Mind if I take a few ideas from your set up?
    In the last pic, are those slide up doors to get the eggies from? I rather like the idea if they are.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  7. Deviled Eggs

Deviled Eggs New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Right now thats a panel of plywood screwed down to block the holes. I plan on bolting a box on the outside about 14 inches long , 13tall or so , 40in wide over those three holes for a nesting box. With a drop out back door so there's no moving hinge on the roof of the nesting box to water seal.
    The chickens were living in the garage so when they moved in it wasn't quite ready yet, only 1 laying though all over the place.

I was tempted to wire cover the run, but plywood is pretty secure and low maintenance. If I did the roof again I would look at laying 2x4's from the center beam to the side beams flat, and maybe cover the ends with another board running down to cover the gap. The roof sides are 36in wide plywood panels with no middle support just the keystone center beam, and are holding strong.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Very nice! In the summer when it's hot they are going to love that area under the coop too. All in all it looks very comfortable for the birds and well predator proofed too.

9. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Oh. lol I did not read the original post closely enough. Nice set up. I think your chickens will be very happy.

I did find that once again someone other than anyone living here was in my coops taking eggs. I am buying locks tomorrow.
    I know someone was in mine because I have been leaving one latch undone and once again it was done up.

10. CESpeed

CESpeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Hot Springs, AR
    That sucks big time!

That's why I don't want my coop to far from the house. I'm really thinking about a dog. A Rottweiler or German Sheperd would give people pause. Though I'm sure I can find a big mutt looking for a home the size alone hopefully wiil be a deterrent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by