New Coop. Finally Mostly Finished

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zooarch, Nov 8, 2011.

1. zooarch

zooarch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    I wanted to do a work in progress, but I didn't get around to it. My friend has some pictures, but she likes to position the people working directly in front of the coop so you don't really get to see the coop itself... [​IMG]

Please let me know what you think. I already don't like the door fasteners, but I don't have any different ideas for them yet. The run will be started tomorrow. I'm planning on an 8x8 run that is 6-7 feet tall with a chicken "tree" in it for them to goof on. The coop itself is 4x4 and will house 3 standard hens and 2 bantams. Right now the two bantams are the only residents until I get rid of the lice on the new three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the ladies that are going to be in the coop! Right now everything looks torn up and messy thanks to all the work on the coop and the quarantine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    very cute [​IMG]

3. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Looks great!! I love the paint color combination!! [​IMG]

I don't see any venting near the roosts. I see you have the window venting but if you have to close it all up if it gets cold, they would need some venting. Just wanted to mention it because I am new to chickens and there was alot think about when building my coop and sometimes things get overlooked. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. h8snags

h8snags Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    Great job! [​IMG]

5. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    sorry you had to paint it so bland, a little color would have been nice. [​IMG]

6. zooarch

zooarch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Yeah, not surprisingly, my husband and I both like a "bit" of color. [​IMG]

I'm planning on adding some venting near the peaks of the roof, but I haven't decided how yet. I would like to just put in some floor vents and cover the backs with hardware cloth. Then I could open and close the vents easily. I also have a problem with the human door for the coop. There is a gap of a about 1/2cm running down the length of it. I plan on adding weather stripping to keep drafts out, but I'm waiting until I know that it is absolutely necessary. The bantams don't like the height of the roost. I might have to lower the first one. They jump all over everything but are avoiding those roosts and using the nest boxes. This is their first week in the coop so I'm giving a it a while to see if they change their mind.

7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    [​IMG]

8. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:Yea, I have made lots of tweeks to our coop too. It's funny how the chickens kinda tell you what isn't working for them. [​IMG]

9. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    What a cute coop, the colors are going to be great looking at in the dead of winter! I would't change a thing , but you might want to add poop boards to make less clean-up work.

10. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Maybe a little temporary ladder to the roosts until they figure out they like it? Nice coop! Isn't it nice to look out and know you did that?! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by