1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

New Coop finally ready for the Chicks, need run now

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by evergreenchicks, Jun 27, 2010.

1. evergreenchicks

evergreenchicks Hatching

May 20, 2010
    Clear Creek County, CO
    We finally got our coop at least to a stage where we could put our 6 SLW chicks into it. The brooder was in our living room as it stays warmer than other parts of the house with all of the windows and it was starting to get a bit smelly with the chicks getting bigger. We now just need to finish the run and finish a few things with the coop and then we will be able to start on our next project at the house, just not sure what that will be yet. We look forward to any comments that you may have on things that we could have done differently or better as I am sure this is not the last coop that we will build. We built it with the idea that we will eventually have about 15 hens in rotation. The coop is 7'x7' and I can stand up in the middle of it (6'4"). The run is going to be 7' x 15'. I based all my sizing on different threads and books that I read with 3 sq ft per bird in the coop and 7 sq ft per bird in the run.

I hope that people can get some ideas from what we've done.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=58144-evergreenchicks-coop

2. NurseELB

NurseELB Songster

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    [​IMG] Still working on ours, slow and steady!

3. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    You have a very generous spirit, to make such a large coop for 6 hens. My coop (at least the henhouse part) is about half that size and is home to 10 hens. I do have a slightly larger run than you do, but not by much. Congratulations, it looks wonderful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by