1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Coop (first one - may have gone a bit overboard!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by malcomdoyle, Feb 2, 2015.

1. malcomdoyle

malcomdoyle New Egg

Jan 31, 2015
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Hey guys!

My wife and I recently inherited a 4 year old Isa Brown from a friend that could no longer give her the attention she deserved.
    She was being kept in a tin, flat pack style coop that just wasn't big enough.

I had a pad of concrete at the bottom of our property that was a perfect fit for her new coop!
    The design and size of the coop was somewhat determined by the existing concrete footings but we are looking at getting several more chicks in the coming weeks.

[​IMG]

Total size comes to 1.9m x 4.5m!

[​IMG]

You can see the coop she was in before on the left, way too small..

[​IMG]

Cladding up, now for the wire!

[​IMG]

Wire on. Being in the hills of Adelaide (South Australia) we don't need heavy duty mesh as the only predators we get are snakes and the odd fox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roof and door are on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just putting the final touches on the interior. Still alot of work to go, the nesting box is temporary at this stage untill we decide how many more chicks we ae getting and how many boxes are required.

Stay tuned, more photos to come :)

Thanks,
    Malcom

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Looks good! I have heard that Isa browns only lay for 2 years and then pretty much stop altogether. So, if you want eggs, you'll have to get younger hens[​IMG]

3. malcomdoyle

malcomdoyle New Egg

Jan 31, 2015

Hey Outpost JWB,

It's a common thought that Isa's stop laying after two or so years but we're still getting an egg every two days or so!

4. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    It looks to have been carefully put together. Does the roof have any pitch, or is the weather such that a flat roof is adequate?

5. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Very good to know[​IMG] And I forgot to tell you [​IMG]

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    She needs a couple of friends!!!

8. GAchickennewbie

GAchickennewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    Love the new coop for her!

She's a very lucky girl!

9. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I'm sure he will learn chicken math the same as we all did[​IMG]

[​IMG]+[​IMG]= [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. malcomdoyle

malcomdoyle New Egg

Jan 31, 2015
    Hi tracecome, the roof is at about 5% which is more than adequite for our climate here. It's usually around 40-45.C (104-113.F) this time of year so rain isn't an issue.
    I will however be installing some guttering at the back with a rain tank closer to winter as it does rain a bit but certainly no snow here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by